Advice on my 45G conversion please

reeferjw

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about converting my 45 planted cichlid tank into a reef and I would like to get some opinions on my options. The tank is 36x12x24. Here goes:

Lights: T5 4 bulbs 36". The tank is on a metal stand now with no canopy. I am trying to decide if I want to build a canopy and go with a retrofit with ice caps and individual reflectors or just buy the Sunlight Supply Tek fixture with indiv reflectors. If I go with the fixture, I don't think I would need any fans, but with the canopy, I would put two in, one on each end for directional airflow.

Skimmer: Remora HOB- the tank is not drilled. I have a Bak Pak on my 20g and have been pleased. I have heard good things regarding the remora, so I thought of giving it a go.

Fuge: Large HOB fuge from CPR aquatics. Here is my biggest struggle. I have not run any type of overflows. I have read so many flood threads that I am paranoid about it. Everyone says not if you flood, but when. Um, I can't get past that. Help me get past that!! :sad: If I do, what about a 10G fuge underneath? I already have a quite one 1200 that I think would work in there for the return, no? I even have a current usa satellite CF fixture that would go over it.

Powerheads: I have a Koralia 1 and an MJ1200 with the hydorflo on my 20. The MJ was what I had originally, but I think the stream is too much. So in the 45 I was thinking of a combination of the MJ with other Koralias (a couple #1s or 2s).

Any thoughts?

I just converted my 40gal FW to another reef. Here is my best advice.

1) Build a new stand and a canopy. Retrofit your T5s into there. You are going to get MUCH better light and the fans in the canopy will help with evap and cooling.

2) The skimmer is fine but I think that skimmer can be run insump too. (I will have to check on this) IMHO, it is always better to run your skimmer in sump. This will put some of your flood worries to bed.

3) I use overflow boxes for all my tanks and I really wish I would have had this 40 gal drilled. It is so much nicer to do it that way. Takl about reducing your chance for a flood, an hob overflow box is more of a chance to flood then a drilled tank.

4) fit the largest sump/fuge under the thing as you can. With a well build stand, you can fit a 20 gal or a 29 gal under there for a sump/fuge. (I would go with the 20 gal if you do an in-sump skimmer.) It is really no more expensive then the 10 gal and will serve you better in the long haul. I do not like HOB fuges, no real added water volume and very little room to grow the kind of life you want to grow in a fuge. Bigger is always better!

5) I can not help you on powerheads because I am a CL type of guy. So I will leave that open for other people.

Thanks Brandon.

2) How is a skimmer in a sump better than HOB? How would that ease flood concerns?
3) Are overflow boxes more prone to flood due to pumps used to maintain the siphon?
4) Would you think a 20L would be better or a reg 20gal tank for the fuge?

In sump skimmers are usually larger and better performing. If an in sump skimmer overflows or leaks, where is the water going to go? In the sump not on your floor! ;)

I used aqualifters on all my overflow boxes and yes that pretty much makes the risk next to nothing but there is still more of a risk then having the tank drilled IMHO. So it all depends on what you consider a risk. Could it still happen? Sure, that U-Tube on a HOB overflow box could get so clogged with algae or something that a pump is not going to help. Like I said small risk but still one. Not to meanton, a drilled tank is much quieter then a HOB overflow box.

The only two types of tanks I know that are still made in a 20 gal are a 20H and a 20L. Yes the 20L would be a better choice. So for your tank size I would choose either a 20L, a 25 (if you can ever find one), or a 29gal. I like DSBs in my fuges so you would like to fit the longest tank you can fit and 18" tall would be much better IMHO then a 12". (if you can squeeze a 36" tank under your stand then great but that is a pretty custom stand) A 12" tall sump/fuge - 4" for a DSB - a few inches for top and baffles = only a few inches for water volume. IMHO, a 18" would be better if you can fit it.

Back