Advise needed - 96x24x30 or 96x30x30

simon_kruger

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my reef tank (92 Gallon Corner) and going to an 8 foot long (the wifes approved it already) Does she really know what shes getting herself in for ;-) The tank will be positioned in my lounge which will be different as my current reef is in my dinning room.

My dilema is the question of going 24 inches or 30 inches with the width. Length 96 inches and height 30 inches at set in stone.

I'm leaning towards the 24 as it will require less LR and Sand, its still 300 Gallon and will look cool. I sort of want it to look long and thin. I dont want it to look crazy large.

However the 30 inch (390 Gallon) will be more practical and would give me more options later. I'd have to increase LR to 650lbs from the 450lbs that I already have.

lighting will be either 3x1000 watts + actinics or 4x400 watts + actinics.

My sump can take both sizes no problem. I will not need to change anyhthing that side.

Your thoughts pls.

My preference is for surface area over vertical volume when picking a tank (within limits). It opens up more aquascaping possibilities, though you do take a beating on sand.

The 30" width will certainly be impressive! The 24" width, though, might "fit" in the room a little better. Where in that room were you planning on setting the tank?

Well my tank is 96"x48"x24" so My opinion may be a bit biased.But,I would go as deep as possible,it really opens up the aquascaping options.I think you could get away with 450 lbs easy with it being only 30" deep.Im using around 500 lbs. in my 48" deep.You can leave plenty of room in the front and back for just sand.Then no rocks are close to the sides of the tank so you can clean it easily.I do wish that I had 30" height now that it is in the wall and I look at it from across the room,but I could imagine that reaching the bottom would be a chore if you needed to get to something.

Hi Mike,

Do you remember where my walkway is in my lounge? Well there, its perfect for a large tank. I could even go 10 feet. Its directly above my sump room and it has a double supporting wall structure so its strong enough. I dont know why we didn't think of this before.

We'll just move the furniture up a little. We tested it yesterday and it looks fine.

Come around and have a look.

Depending on positioning I think the 30W can be extreemly impressive... even witht he number of tanks Ive seen in person, everytime I see a tank that has f/b depth, I'm blown away.

...but we've already talked about this, so you know how I feel :)

I would vote for the increased width....(of course, that is what I have, so I am biased.) More natural movement in the fish, and allows mini-seamounts rather than dead space against the back. Of course, that means anything expensive will always be behind the seamount....

if i was top start over again...i would chose a deeper width.. because it is alot easier when the rocks arent right close up to the glass, cleaning is soo much easier. i have a 300 tall, (30 inches high) even though getting to the bottom of the tank is a pita, when you look at it from a distance it looks great..

Forgive my ignorance. What are seamounts? I am assuming these are mini-mountains that do not break the water surface?

Oh yeah. Looks I think the 30" depth (front to back) would look awesome. How would that affect that walkway?

Simon,
I have a 300 that's 96x30x24. I didn't really want one too deep so I could have light penetrate corals on the bottom. I really do like that I got one 30 inches front to back. It gave me alot more room to aquascape and at first I had a pretty large sand area to place stuff in. No longer though whatever you get you'll fill it up.
Richard

So I see from the previous posts a few people have the 96L, where did you get them from? There all obviously custom, right? Did you go for 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch glass.

As for the positioning of the tank. I would like it here on that wall (between the corridor and stairs - first picture) just there where the small table is situated. The walkway would be utilized by the tank so i'd have to move the sofa into the room a little to create a new walkway. No biggy theres plenty of space.

To give you an idea of how big the wall is. The square part of the wall is 11 feet long.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I think 30x30" would be very cool, but I'd figure out what you're willing to work with regarding getting into the back corner of the tank. IE- a 30x30" tank will be really hard to reach, even with tongs. My 26x26" is too much for me on the back corners.

Just something to keep in mind.

slayer77;58625 wrote: if i was top start over again...i would chose a deeper width.. because it is alot easier when the rocks arent right close up to the glass, cleaning is soo much easier. i have a 300 tall, (30 inches high) even though getting to the bottom of the tank is a pita, when you look at it from a distance it looks great..

Go with the 30" depth, Simon. Being the person who stood inside Slayer77's tank and placed the rocks in there, I can say definitively that six more inches would have been a godsend!

30x30 is awesome.
if it were mineza tank though i'd go 30x24 bc of short arms (which aren't really all that short)

Simon.Kruger;58639 said:
So I see from the previous posts a few people have the 96L, where did you get them from? There all obviously custom, right? Did you go for 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch glass.

quote]

Mine is 3/4" Acrylic and was built by a local guy.If your going glass check out Glasscages,they have the best prices that I have seen for a 96" tank.

im not sure is 8 foot long tanks are always custom, because just the other day at marine fish they had a 8 foot long aquarium made by perfecto and im not sure perfecto makes custom tanks.

Simon,
I got mine from glasscages.com. Not the most friendly people, but they build a good tank and the prices are great. This is my third tank from them and as far as the tank goes I couldn't be happier. Overflows and all other holes cost extra. They drill for schedule 80 bulkheads only, so plan accordingly. I had them build my overflow and drill those holes, I drilled the rest myself. The overflow is glass and you have to have them get you an acrylic cover for it as well. Glued mine with aquarium silicone, worked great. What I didn't like was the the gaps in the top of the acrylic weren't large enough. I glued it in too soon and had to break some teeth out to get the proper flow. I wish I'd just widened them before I filled the tank and glued it in place, oh well. The tank has two half inch sheets silicone welded together on the bottom and half inch on all sides with european bracing. You can have starfire glass for a little extra, wish I'd done this on the front pane, since mine is built into a wall. Anyway, you can drive to pick it up, about 4 hours, just west of Nashville, or they'll deliver locally if they have a show in the area. It cost me $80 for delivery because at the time I got mine they had a show in Orlando and were driving through Atlanta. There's usually a couple shows a year in Atlanta also. Just check out their website and give them a call. Like I said, they're not always the most friendly people to deal with, but if you're patient they'll build you a great tank at a great price.
Richard

The recommedations that you're getting are certainly valid (big tanks are nice!) but in this case, bigger is not necessarily better. Given where you want to place the tank, and given that I have the benefit of being able to stop by and take a look at where you want to put the tank, I think the 24" tank will fit the room better than the 30" tank. The 30" tank will fit there but would tend to take over the room.

Thanks Richard, I think I might go 3/4 inch all round with Starphire front and sides. Glasscages do seem to have the best prices.

Back