Advise needed - 96x24x30 or 96x30x30

Simon.Kruger;58864 wrote: Thanks Richard, I think I might go 3/4 inch all round with Starphire front and sides. Glasscages do seem to have the best prices.

And Simon the tanks are built extremely well for what they cost.I had a 240 Cube from them and the tank was a beast.Weighed a ton but there was no concern about the Integrity of the tank.Good luck with it!

My personal opininon (since you asked) :D is to go deeper than 30" on such a long tank. IMO, the 24 or 30 high 8' tanks look oddly out of proportion. It feels like looking looking through a slot into the reef as opposed to a window. If you stick with 30" high, I think 24" front-to-back is fine. I think there still is enough room for rockwork and to leave some swim area in the front. I also agree with the other comments that based on where you are planning on putting it, the 24" witdth would be better.

Hi Guyz,

I received a great idea from Doug (ReefTankLighting) and marked up the area with blue masking tape.

This allowed me to move the furniture in the room and see what the effect was of having a tank in there. I then called the two Mikes (Finch and Ufret) to come and review. 24 inches is the way to go in this room.

The blue tape shows the space required for a 96L x 24W x 30H. The entire system with cabinet and canopy will probably end up being around 76 inches tall.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped. It's been a hard decision for me. I appreciate it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I have to agree with Mike. Anything more than 30"W will overpower that room and location. Not to mention I think the 24" would probably be more acceptable to the Mrs.

I've just ordered it from Glasscages. I'll have it in 4 weeks. Not a bad price and its with three sides of Starphire and black silicon.

Thanks everyone.

96L x 24W x 30H All 3/4 inch Euro-braced Black Silicon Starphire front and sides

All for $1800 (pickup only)

Note : no overflows as I am going to do that myself, with a little help from a friend ;-)

Weighs 700lbs

Also looking at 2x double Hamilton ReefStar 400 Watt HQI 10K, so that'll bring it to 1600 watts.

I am now in the market for some nice Actinic lights, any suggestions.

Simon, that sounds like exactly what (Jaime) Slayer77 just got. It is a beautifully built tank. I hope you can tolerate the rudeness that seems to eminate from their shop, because the product is fabulous.

I like the blue tape i would stick with that it's cheaper. Looks like 24" is going to work well for that spot...

It looks like a murder scene but for an aquarium. i.e. the chalk line.

Whats worse is that its going to be like that for the next 6~8 weeks.

rgzfly;58855 wrote: Simon,
I got mine from glasscages.com. Not the most friendly people, but they build a good tank and the prices are great. This is my third tank from them and as far as the tank goes I couldn't be happier. Overflows and all other holes cost extra. They drill for schedule 80 bulkheads only, so plan accordingly. I had them build my overflow and drill those holes, I drilled the rest myself. The overflow is glass and you have to have them get you an acrylic cover for it as well. Glued mine with aquarium silicone, worked great. What I didn't like was the the gaps in the top of the acrylic weren't large enough. I glued it in too soon and had to break some teeth out to get the proper flow. I wish I'd just widened them before I filled the tank and glued it in place, oh well. The tank has two half inch sheets silicone welded together on the bottom and half inch on all sides with european bracing. You can have starfire glass for a little extra, wish I'd done this on the front pane, since mine is built into a wall. Anyway, you can drive to pick it up, about 4 hours, just west of Nashville, or they'll deliver locally if they have a show in the area. It cost me $80 for delivery because at the time I got mine they had a show in Orlando and were driving through Atlanta. There's usually a couple shows a year in Atlanta also. Just check out their website and give them a call. Like I said, they're not always the most friendly people to deal with, but if you're patient they'll build you a great tank at a great price.
Richard

yea I agree with the friendly part. But they do know what they're doing. I ordered a 48X18X17 65 gallon tank, rimless and 3 side starphire glass and it looked awesome. I really like the glass overflow rather than the black acrylic ones. Instead of 1'' down and 3/4'' up for bulkheads, they do 1.5'' down and 1'' up, this is extremely good for reef tanks that need alot of flow. Freight company cracked mine but it still looked good (it's insured).

well, you're going to need a bigger sump... ;)

given your current display/sump ratio... what would the sump have to be? 3250 gallons?

hehe.

well responding to dawgdude. come by and have a look for yourself. I can show you quality issues as well as explain the personality thing as well.

Simon,

How did the GlassCages tank work out for you? I am thinking of ordering a similar tank (3 sides starfire).

I have a 240 96lx24wx24h . I am upgrading to a 300 96lx30wx24h . I realy like to extra 6" from front to back. anything over 24" you will need to upgrade to 400w mh with the 24" 250 work great

yeah,

I am thinking 72 x 31w x 25h would be a nice size... I am hearing mixed reviews from GlassCages.com. Would be interesting to hear a critique of Simon's 300 g experience. For me it makes more sense to go with GlassCages because they are in Tenn and I could pick up the tank when completed. However Aquarium Obsessed seems to be getting great reviews.

Glasscages are hit and miss when it comes to quality/service. Yeah they are close and cheaper then most,but will you get a nicer tank then you could get from someplace like Aquarium Obsessed? I seriously doubt it. I had a 240 cube from the Glasscages,and the tank was overbuilt and very strong,but heavy as hell and the seams/eurobracing were pretty sloppy. I had no doubt the tank would hold water,probably for a very long time but for the money I would buy elsewhere. Of course its your tank and your money :)

Back