Aggressive tank mates

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to introduce my Yellow Tang that had been in QT to the 55G tank with my Singapore Angel. It did not go well. The angel has established it's territory in this tank and was relentless in it's attack on the smaller tang. I watched them for about an hour, hoping that the angel would let up some but the attacks became more violent, to the point that I was afraid the tang would be injured so I removed the tang and put it back in QT. The only other fish in the tank are two very small Bangai Cardinals which the angel ignored except for last night when she would charge the cardinals, who were oblivious to the whole encounter and the angel quickly left them alone. The tank has a lot of LR specifically designed with caves, overhangs and areas for the angel to hide since this fish is some what reclusive and loves the rock work. In retrospect, I probably should have added her last to the tank but things did not work out that way. So my question, should I give up on the idea of adding the tang and stick with a couple of smaller fish. This tank is 48" long so I thought I would be ok for some time and I would be able to plan an upgrade. This is the first problem I have had introducing a fish in to my tanks (been lucky so far!). I used to have a Yellow Tang in my old setup with a Queen Angel so I thought this would have been ok. Any help, tips, suggestions.....
BZ

always add angels last. you can reareange your rocks. did you try to shut the lights off for a few hours?

Yeah shut off lights for a couple hours while tang acclimates to new place--you could probably put the tang in and at the same time take angel out and place in QT for a couple days or week (while tang gets used to new home), and then put angel back in

Even though I just saw this the other day, I don't remember what the sump looks like. Can you put the angel in the sump for a few days and let the tang get established?

You can catch the angel, put in a seperated container in the tank for a few days which often helps.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try and let you know how it works.
Bob

Back