AI Vegas

Hmm,

I was already in half a mind to convert to a 150/250 w Mh with a couple of t5ho actinics. This conversation just pushes me towards that direction. More and more

dball711;1071888 wrote: I believe from what read, the hydra and Vega are underpowered. The Hydra 26 & 52 are more powerful but I have no experience with Vegas to compare. I am using 2 hydra 26's on a 30 breeder Softie tank, color and growth are pretty good (but it's softies not SPS).

I will rent out the par meter in a few weeks, and test the par on three different lights; Radion Gen 3 pro, AI sol, and AI hydra 26 HD

Rev, I agree that metal halides are a great option, but there are some significant disadvantages to using them, including heat added to the system, and the increase in electricity used. On the other hand, they will definitely grow sps.

Might be time for a larger tank if you plan on going with a 250mh, seems like overkill for the 20" cube. Once you get your SPS growing the real estate is going to get tight.

Hahaha.. Yeah.. Don't think the wife would be appreciative of a new tank right now.
I also have an old 150w mg with 2 t5 actinics a 24" fixture, which I might try for a few days.

But if I do change the lights, how do I light acclimate to mh?

LSU_fishFan;1071901 wrote: I will rent out the par meter in a few weeks, and test the par on three different lights; Radion Gen 3 pro, AI sol, and AI hydra 26 HD

Rev, I agree that metal halides are a great option, but there are some significant disadvantages to using them, including heat added to the system, and the increase in electricity used. On the other hand, they will definitely grow sps.
I'll have to disagree with this being significant. During these months the heat from halides are actually an advantage and once that is factored in (less heater running time) and the difference in electrical usage vs leds., there is not a significant difference in electrical usage.

grouper therapy;1071932 wrote: I'll have to disagree with this being significant. During these months the heat from halides are actually an advantage and once that is factored in (less heater running time) and the difference in electrical usage vs leds., there is not a significant difference in electrical usage.

In winter, it is great for keeping your tank warm, but during the summer, when the temperature is 90+ outside, it can heat your tank more than the desired temp range for reef tanks.

LSU_fishFan;1071952 wrote: In winter, it is great for keeping your tank warm, but during the summer, when the temperature is 90+ outside, it can heat your tank more than the desired temp range for reef tanks.
I understand I ran 1500 watts of metal halide lights over a 156 gallon for around 7 years so yes there is that to consider but is is not as significant as some are led to believe. It can be managed during the 90 degree days and utilized on days like today. My point is that the heat is only an issue part of the year. I'd rather have a tank of corals sitting in water that is 84 degrees that is growing and colorful than a tank full sitting at 76 degrees that are small and pale.:D

I run cheap leds right now over my cube and the lps are doing fine But I assure you there will be an halide as well before Reeferman ships me all MY frags.LOL

I just can't sit back and not say anything on this one. I got hydras on my 120. And got several par meters in my tank, the brand is called acros. When they grow from 1" to a 4 " to 5 " colony in one yr. I have a frag rack that is full. I invite all to come see..For that matter bring some cash, I will sell you some frags that are almost colonies in my frag rack.
Sorry about the pics, That is why I'm coming to meeting.

James that is a really nice tank! Really nice Tank! So I hope you don't take this offensively but the colors are not as Vibrant or Intense maybe is the word as a metal halide IMO . I assume you run no metal halide?

yrevanth;1071900 wrote: Hmm,

I was already in half a mind to convert to a 150/250 w Mh with a couple of t5ho actinics. This conversation just pushes me towards that direction. More and more

this would be a viable option if you run mainly sticks in your box. heat in the summer may drive you crazy though. if i had a biocube i would still run LEDs. specifically a black box/evergrow/reef breeders. if you have money to burn go radion pros or kessel. these all prove to be good at growing coral. never heard someone throwing away radions or calling them junk and reinstalling halides.

i havent heard anyone tearing down their hydras for mh yet either. but the vegas... omg. they are so bad they were discontinued. you would think that they would be such a success story that the v2s would be anticipated. you cant even get parts for them.

another brand id stay away from is orphek. another overpriced monstrosity. - again. my opinion only

im not here to sling mud at products. but i dont want someone getting upset because they dropped a stack on some expensive led that puts out less par than my kid's glow-in-the-dark dinosaur sticker. THAT would be a fellow reefer not looking out. - which is worse imho

also. i run leds. was not advocating using metal halide. i was just mentioning a lot of mh people got burned on the gamble with these vegas and went back to mh/t5.

and luke... make sure you get a par reading running the ai sol, radion and whatever other light at the same time 1' below the surface. (for yucks)

grouper therapy;1071964 wrote: James that is a really nice tank! Really nice Tank! So I hope you don't take this offensively but the colors are not as Vibrant or Intense maybe is the word as a metal halide IMO . I assume you run no metal halide?

Agree 100%, Acros are very pale. Not due to lighting. Having a chemistry issue that I'm working on, I believe.
When i here someone say something about growth with the lighting i have, I don't get mad ,it just lets me know how much they know about the subject. The whole purpose of threads like this I thought was to help reefers with accurate knowledge.
No, I have never had MH.I here they are very good .

Fishlips;1071968 wrote: Agree 100%, Acros are very pale. Not due to lighting. Having a chemistry issue that I'm working on, I believe.
When i here someone say something about growth with the lighting i have, I don't get mad ,it just lets me know how much they know about the subject. The whole purpose of threads like this I thought was to help reefers with accurate knowledge.

i think the tank looks great.
try bluing up the spectrum a lil and dropping whites 10%. see what that gets you. really you have a good canvas.

Russ-IV;1071969 wrote: i think the tank looks great.
try bluing up the spectrum a lil and dropping whites 10%. see what that gets you. really you have a good canvas.

Thanks, I know it needs work for better color, This is what I love about this hobby, there is always something to work on . I'm up for the challenge.

grouper therapy;1071955 wrote: I understand I ran 1500 watts of metal halide lights over a 156 gallon for around 7 years so yes there is that to consider but is is not as significant as some are led to believe. It can be managed during the 90 degree days and utilized on days like today. My point is that the heat is only an issue part of the year. I'd rather have a tank of corals sitting in water that is 84 degrees that is growing and colorful than a tank full sitting at 76 degrees that are small and pale.:D
Agreed
Russ-IV;1071966 wrote: this would be a viable option if you run mainly sticks in your box. heat in the summer may drive you crazy though. if i had a biocube i would still run LEDs. specifically a black box/evergrow/reef breeders. if you have money to burn go radion pros or kessel. these all prove to be good at growing coral. never heard someone throwing away radions or calling them junk and reinstalling halides.

i havent heard anyone tearing down their hydras for mh yet either. but the vegas... omg. they are so bad they were discontinued. you would think that they would be such a success story that the v2s would be anticipated. you cant even get parts for them.

another brand id stay away from is orphek. another overpriced monstrosity. - again. my opinion only

im not here to sling mud at products. but i dont want someone getting upset because they dropped a stack on some expensive led that puts out less par than my kid's glow-in-the-dark dinosaur sticker. THAT would be a fellow reefer not looking out. - which is worse imho

also. i run leds. was not advocating using metal halide. i was just mentioning a lot of mh people got burned on the gamble with these vegas and went back to mh/t5.

and luke... make sure you get a par reading running the ai sol, radion and whatever other light at the same time 1' below the surface. (for yucks)

I understand where your coming from, and agree that Orphek lighting is way overpriced.

The lights are all on different tanks, but I do run t5 lighting with the radions. I will test with and without the t5s on.

LSU_fishFan;1071975 wrote: Agreed

I understand where your coming from, and agree that Orphek lighting is way overpriced.

The lights are all on different tanks, but I do run t5 lighting with the radions. I will test with and without the t5s on.

because i troll you. and we realize this....

stadium-floodlights-background.jpg
alt="" />

this might grow those zoas you have been having issues with lololol

i kid. but ill be interested to see the results.

btw i was trying to beat the entertainment value of this post...

Trizzino;1071881 wrote: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonage/images/2/2a/Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120921164818" alt="" />

What about Hydras?[/QUOTE]

truly hilarious

Back