Algae Bloom after Water Change?

hatzo1

Market
Reaction score
So I never experienced this before. I did a water change yesterday evening about 15-20 gallons on a 125 gal tank.
Afterwards I did feed some Masstick to try to get my PBT to eat. Only thing out of the norm after the water change.
Then this evening when I got home I have an algae bloom in the tank. I did not see the tank this morning as it is 5am when I leave .
Did a quick test stick and things look ok but will do a test after dinner.

Although I don't disagree that overfeeding masstick will help a diatom bloom as diatoms do need nitrates/phosphates... their limiting factor is typically silicates. I've used masstick in the past with no diatom blooms... although I'm not sure what is in there frankly :)

A diatom bloom on the scale that you are describing is typically the result of silicates being recently introduced into the system. The most common entry of silicates into our systems is from our water during water changes. So I'm thinking it came in during your water change... Once filters get to a certain stage they start letting silicates through... Just a theory. G'luck.

On a recent BRS vid about DI resin they showed when the resin is used it will start releasing silicates and or ammonia. As the resin grabs an ion with a higher charge, up or down, it will release the weaker bonded ion.

After a recent icp test I saw my silicates on the rise in the system and in my ro storage, the resin didn't look like it had gone bad either. I changed all prefilters and the resin, problem solved.

How long are filters good for. I purchased this system when I started the aquarium. Got it from BulkReef Supply in September.

Man they should last quite a bit more than that. What's the output tds of your ro unit?

Total dissolved solids reading... You can pick up a tds meter for under 15 bucks. It'll let you know how clean your RO water is.

When you run dual membranes in a water saver setuo the second membrane will put out slightly higher tds than the 1st. Also to run duals you really need high pressure coming into the unit. My pressure coming into the house is 96 to 98psi. I tapped into the spigot line before the house regulator and have 86 psi in the tubing before the prefilters. After them its 75+ going into the membranes. If it wasn't wasn't for that I'd be running a booster pump.

In essence that setup isn't cutting it.

When you run dual membranes in a water saver setuo the second membrane will put out slightly higher tds than the 1st. Also to run duals you really need high pressure coming into the unit. My pressure coming into the house is 96 to 98psi. I tapped into the spigot line before the house regulator and have 86 psi in the tubing before the prefilters. After them its 75+ going into the membranes. If it wasn't wasn't for that I'd be running a booster pump.

In essence that setup isn't cutting it.

I dont have the water saver unit just the standard. Looks like your less the top cylinder. I have to run mine of the outside spigot. No basement here.

I dont have the water saver unit just the standard. Looks like your less the top cylinder. I have to run mine of the outside spigot. No basement here.
I just went off the link pic from my phone...

If the DI resin wasn't packed pretty dam tight water will channel through it and not pass over as much media. That could let stuff through.

Do you know what the pressure is at that spigot, and are you running a length of hose before connecting to the filter?

I think you just need to take the water that comes out and have it checked for tds at a lfs or just get a meter. You should be getting a reading of 0 with that unit at this stage. If its anything higher then start your troubleshooting...

I just went off the link pic from my phone...

If the DI resin wasn't packed pretty dam tight water will channel through it and not pass over as much media. That could let stuff through.

Do you know what the pressure is at that spigot, and are you running a length of hose before connecting to the filter?

My bad.
But I do not know what the pressure is , but I'm going to look for a gauge this evening for the line so I can get a reading. It is pretty strong coming out of the hose though. It runs about 20ft maybe to the RO unit which is mounted right above my mixing station.

Back