Algae Bloom after Water Change?

I think you just need to take the water that comes out and have it checked for tds at a lfs or just get a meter. You should be getting a reading of 0 with that unit at this stage. If its anything higher then start your troubleshooting...

Just ordered a TDS Meter from Amazon will be here tomorrow.

RO membranes LOVE pressure. The higher the pressure the more efficient they run.
Although, even at a lower pressure the DI should catch what gets past the RO unit, but... It will chew through the DI resin.

FYI to those watching this. Silicates and ammonia barely register anything TDS on a meter, they have a near neutral charge.

RO membranes LOVE pressure. The higher the pressure the more efficient they run.
Although, even at a lower pressure the DI should catch what gets past the RO unit, but... It will chew through the DI resin.

FYI to those watching this. Silicates and ammonia barely register anything TDS on a meter, they have a near neutral charge.

What else should I test my RO water with ?

A TDS meter is still the best bet, but even a one or zero reading could still be letting silicates by, more so as the usage goes up right before changing.

Like I said earlier, my resin looked good and the tds meter showed zero but I had them in my water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A TDS meter is still the best bet, but even a one or zero reading could still be letting silicates by, more so as the usage goes up right before changing.

Like I said earlier, my resin looked good and the tds meter showed zero but I had them in my water.

OK, so check pressure, check TDS . As for usage we have maybe run 300-450 gals total through it and that's on the very high end.

I did not know that. Good info.

Doing some research I came across this article and found it interesting. In this thread.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/silicates-125149.html

Aye I intentionally used black silicate sand in one of my tanks. The look of it is superior to that of black aragonite by a country mile. The issue is that it caused major diatom blooms for a few months. Eventually though it settled down nicely. Once the sponges start growing in your tank they will absorb those silicates like mad. So for most established tanks having some silicate in your RO is not a big deal... it usually gets used up as fast as it is introduced.

Something I was also thinking of, is my son uses the same RO water in his Fresh Water Planted aquarium and doesn't have issues. I know the chemistry is different but he has not had any issues, but who knows. I'm still going to check it all out and go from there.
Thanks again for all the input again guys.

Update on the algae bloom . It’s gone and tank is clear. All corals are open and happy.Interesting at the least . LOL
Sorry for the crap picture

ae29e0536be5c6202215cc5a45fcb84e.jpg
ae29e0536be5c6202215cc5a45fcb84e.jpg

Back