algae filter screen for nitrate and phosphate removal

william1

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this with good results. It seems very simple and if it works as good as they say its worth a shot I think. I might rig one up for my new tank even a smaller one for my cube. Heres the link to the thread.
showthread.php

I read about this type of filteration years ago. Seems to work great, but would require such a huge set-up it's really not practical for the home aquarium.

Great Idea, along with the Plenum Filter and a few other "Can be done like this, but other methods work and are so much easier, why bother" </em>ideas.....

EnderG60;315255 wrote: whats wrong with a cheato ball?

So few people actually have it in the proper set up (actually tumbling) to really warrant a huge difference. I read the massively long thread on RC too about this. Some people were saying this was the end all be all...and some were less than slightly impressed. In theory it should work, but I believe it largely depends on how it's setup and how well you maintain it. So I guess this all goes back to proper husbandry, lol.

same issue with this though. Algea scrubbers have been used for filtration for decades but in order to see a difference you would need a few square feet of algea. The industrial ones cover acres!

Just like everything else in this hobby, trying to recreate a process that works in the ocean rarely ever works on a small/concentrated scale.

I too have read about this on the Zeovit forums, and the main problem users were having was the water took on a green tint to it. It was caused by the cleaning that is required of the algae scrubber and how it ruptured cell walls of the algae.

All together it really wansnt the cat's meow, but it did work. And it did take quite a few square inches/feet to make it effective.

I actually have this setup on my fish only tank. I just set it up (or one like it) last week. I used the return from my UV and just drilled holes in the tube so the water runs down the mesh screen. After one week, I see no algae, but I'm sure it takes a bit longer.

If anyone is going to try this, LMK....I have around 5 sheets of the mesh screen needed to do this project. I didn't use this on either of my reef tanks, as I don't have a nitrate issue. My FO tank always has nitrate issue!

As for the green water...I'm pretty sure as long as you take the screen out of the water to clean it, you shouldn't have an issue with the cells bursting in your tank.

Im glad there are alot of posts about this. I too have read this before but paid no attention to it but it came back around so I thought I would throw it out there again for people to rip apart and figure out if its worth the trouble. And maybe see some pics from anyone here using this (Mfliin):D Maybe even come up with a new improved design for reef tanks where there wont be so much room involved.

AtlReef;315244 wrote: SantaMonica seems to pop up on multiple sites with this same thread. I remember reading through a long thread on RC? or another site to determine if it was worth the effort.
I know right.. I have seen him on 4 or 5 other forums...

At least it is a relatively small startup cost. And with your ozone, you might not see any green water issues. It may be worth a shotif you ever have no3/po4 issues

I mean of coarse we couldnt set up a huge one under the tank but the idea seems relativly easy and cheap for people that might have issues of nitrates or phosphates. I cant ever seem to keep my nitrates in check and I dont really have a huge bio load.

Ya running the water from the uv to the algea scrubber isnt the best idea. They were saying something like 350gph over it until theres a nice stream of water coming off the scrubber.

I've been running one since December after following SantaMonica posts on FishLore.com. It seems ok. It did seem to totally get rid of all my nitrates. And pretty much no more green algae. Though I still deal with cases of cyno. Mind you, I don't have a large enough screen nor do I have bulbs on both sides which would also help.

But for the price, it is worth trying. I already had pump and rubber tubing to run it to the pvc. For me all it cost me was the light fixture, bulb, some cvpc (that's what I used) and a plastic screen from Michael's. Total cost was probably around $30 or so.

Oil_Fan;316877 wrote: I've been running one since December after following SantaMonica posts on FishLore.com. It seems ok. It did seem to totally get rid of all my nitrates. And pretty much no more green algae. Though I still deal with cases of cyno. Mind you, I don't have a large enough screen nor do I have bulbs on both sides which would also help.

But for the price, it is worth trying. I already had pump and rubber tubing to run it to the pvc. For me all it cost me was the light fixture, bulb, some cvpc (that's what I used) and a plastic screen from Michael's. Total cost was probably around $30 or so.

Do you have a picture of the set up?

Not a recent one. But here is how I have it setup back in December:

P1010005a.jpg
alt="" />

I'll take one tomorrow (too tired tonight to bother) to show how it looks now. Basically it's fully of green algae all over the thing.

I have seen them functioning well as a stair system where the water flows across the algae pad that is at an angle rather than being flat/straight up and down. Works good as PART of a big slow flow fuge.

dawgdude;315448 wrote: I may be wrong, however if you are running the water through the UV and THEN onto the algae scrubber then it seems your shooting yourself in the foot. The point here is to GROW a large population but the water you are putting over the mesh has just had all the algae radiated and killed......Also the flow rate is important from what I have read so if you are running the UV at the right speed you might not be running it at enough flow.

Yep, this is probably not the best setup. It was the easiest way for me to try this without new plumbing. As for the flow rate, it was exactly the right speed...that was another reason I tried it. Maybe I will wait a few weeks and try this with the UV off and see if I get any changes. Right now I need to find a better bulb for the light......

Oil Fan, have you seen the thick mat of algae that was shown on the biuld thread with your setup? Thanks

I have one that has been setup for @3 or 4 weeks, It dropped the ni to zero but it does seem to cause alot of red slime, thinking of taking it down. Mine looks very similar to Oil's setup, it is fed from the overflow.

Keep em coming we want to see what going on with these. Good or bad? Im going to install one one my new tank as soon as its set up.

Mine has bright green, dark green and some reddish algae on it. Still not to sure if I like it but I think it is doing its job.

Back