Algae id and natutal predator

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
I have this algae that grows in my frag tank, it's leafy, maybe a type of culerpa? Can someone tell me what it is and what eats it please.

Thanks.
a1cdf8528bd204cd31156faebb98ed42.jpg
18b11ab99a0a1a34b81b0174aa6958de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not certain on the species, but anything that looks like that typically was eaten in my old tanks by emerald crabs, decorator crabs, or turbos. Some angelfish and of course tangs. IME, tangs eat anything and everything. I’m still looking for a good small Kole tang - they’re such good worker bees.

It looks like the early growth of a sea lettuce, maybe Ulva lactuca.

1569937411082.png

Crabs, turbos, tangs, foxface...anything that eats algae loves that stuff.

I concur with Dave; definitely looks like sea lettuce. I tried growing that stuff intentionally for a while, but everything eats it so it didn’t last.

I believe a few folks actually grow the stuff on purpose to feed tangs & as a mcaro for a refugium. You might be sitting on a gold mine bro! Or a giant pain, depends on the perspective I suppose.

I believe a few folks actually grow the stuff on purpose to feed tangs & as a mcaro for a refugium. You might be sitting on a gold mine bro! Or a giant pain, depends on the perspective I suppose.

"A weed is just another plant, whose redeeming qualities have yet to be discovered..." ;)

FWIW-
A few years back I discovered this thick red macro algae thriving in the refugium area of my sump, under a spring lamp no less.

When I asked a seasoned fellow reefer about it, he replied that it was a dreaded plague, so I nuked it with vinegar.

I came to find out later, it's now referred to as dragon's tongue (sells for $45 per bunch!) -

Back