Algae Issues

cici22

Supporting
Reaction score
I recently set up a FOWLR for my sister (about three weeks ago), and algae is taking over her tank. Normally, I would just get some snails and crabs, but she has her heart set on getting a snowflake eel, which, from what I've heard, would gobble them up in a second. She already has a tang in there, but he can't keep up with it. Are snowflake eels as predatorial as they say? Are there any other solutions? Not exactly a reef question, but hopefully I can get some tips. Thanks for the help

-CiCi

Would a UV steralizer work? I'm not much of a saltwater guy, I'm here for the info and because I love the hobby. I was told to use one on my freshwater tanks to rid them of algae.

You could try some Mexican turbo snails . I would think they would be large enough to not get eaten buy a snowflake eel. They typ. are pretty small if you get one from a LFS. also look at getting a phosban reactor it really helped me knock out some hair algae problems I was having

merchant.mvc

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Phosphate reduction/ removal is most likely the answer. you have a few choices. Add a refugium with Macro algae. If you don't already have one get an inexpensive phosphate reactor for like 35 bucks and put some phosar or ROWA in there. (you'll need to CHANGE your media in phosphate reactor more often at first.) Your media might be getting saturated in 2 weeks depending upon how much is bound up in your rocks, tank, algae, etc. Use less media, change every 2 weeks. Use a great test kit like DD merk, Hack, or colormeter or send to AWT.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">when you do your water change, take the end of the hose and suck all the algae down like a vaccum. It'll take a few water changes, but it works (especially after the phosphate remover kicks in)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">You must export the same or more nutrients than you put in. Overfeeding, tap water, high phosphate foods, etc. Use a phosphate reactor with some phosar or ROWA or whatever, and something to lower nitrates like a fuge, AZNO3, or whatever. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">check out:</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...st2003/chem.htm</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php</span></span>

You can go with zebra turbo snails if you need some algae predation. These things get to be the size of billiard balls and have a THICK shell that would be safe from a snowflake.

FutureInterest;179329 wrote: You can go with zebra turbo snails if you need some algae predation. These things get to be the size of billiard balls and have a THICK shell that would be safe from a snowflake.

I've had a few of those in my tank for a couple of years. I love the way they crawl in an alcove for the day to "sleep". I have 2 Top Crowns, too. Their shell is thick enough, but I'm afraid their feet would get eaten.

Long spine sea urchin? I hear they can tear through some algae...and I assume an eel wouldn't go for it.

I just think they look cool.

marine depot or Dr. F&S. Also, locally I'd guess with Aquabuys & a few others.

Deal with the causes of the algae also -- not just the symptoms.

Reduce the nutrients in the tank (most women love to overfeed the fish -- it's some kind of nesting urge we're cursed with) and cut back on the light cycle. Since it's a FOWLR, you could even leave the lights off for a few days altogether without harming the liverock.

Check the age of your bulbs and replace if necessary.

stickx911;179509 wrote: oh yea, where can you get a phosphate reactor for $35?

I think it was post 3 on this thread, I put a like to the one at aquabuys.

Back