algae scrubbers

here are a few pictures of my scrubber. I have had it up about 3 months. The first picture is what I collected today. I collected the same amount about one week ago. The second pic is of the scrubber after I collected. I am going to tweak it more by providing more light over the surface of the plastic canvas. I feel I have had great success with the scrubber, it always seemed I was fighting algae in one of my tanks all of the time. I am now algae free. Even my grape caulerpa has melted away from lack of nutrients.

forgot to attach
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
979143=55783-algae scrubber 001 (1024x681).jpg
>
979143=55783-algae scrubber 001 (1024x681).jpg
class="gc-images" title="algae scrubber 001 (1024x681).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
979143=55784-algae scrubber 003 (1024x681).jpg
>
979143=55784-algae scrubber 003 (1024x681).jpg
class="gc-images" title="algae scrubber 003 (1024x681).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here is an updated pic today of my ATS. Been up and running for roughly month and a half... Getting some pretty good growth of red and green algae.

IMG_3598_zps6fc3c168.jpg
alt="" /></a>
IMG_3599_zps03d18b27.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I built an "upflow" version a few months ago and I love it. I went this route mostly because I hate water splashing sound and the salt creep from it.
I was having really bad hair algae problems and the gfo/carbon reactor basically did nothing. Like a week after I started the scrubber the algae started going away. It was amazing. Here is from 2 weeks ago.

fbde48c0c7d94ba87d3c653aa3922555.jpg
alt="" />

I just have a shop light with a cheap led 6500k bulb from lowes and it works fine for me. I also didn't rough up the screen so I might get better growth if I did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeferboy83;982596 wrote: Here is an updated pic today of my ATS. Been up and running for roughly month and a half... Getting some pretty good growth of red and green algae.

IMG_3598_zps6fc3c168.jpg
alt="" /></a>
IMG_3599_zps03d18b27.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Fwiw....

Your screen is oversized, doesn't have enough light, and the lights should be closer to the screen. How much flow are you pushing?

I'm on like week 4 of my new scrubber and am just getting green growth myself. I have a smaller screen (8"x10“) light from both sides with 4 23w 2700k CFL's that are about 4" from the screen. I'm running about ~500gph through it.

DavidinGA;982636 wrote: Fwiw....

Your screen is oversized, doesn't have enough light, and the lights should be closer to the screen. How much flow are you pushing?

I'm on like week 4 of my new scrubber and am just getting green growth myself. I have a smaller screen (8"x10“) light from both sides with 4 23w 2700k CFL's that are about 4" from the screen. I'm running about ~500gph through it.

I value your opinion DavidinGA but if it works why mess with it?? No my screen is not over sized I like it just the size it is and for me I have sufficient light. It works perfect for me and my setup. You know I have been on these forums for several years and it just amazes me how some people on here have nothing better to do with their time than to criticize others. I am assuming it gives you a rush to make others think you are a know it all and so far superior to someone else. To me it just tells me how much of an idiot you are. People are going to set their system up however they want to....granted there are some things that have a right way and a wrong way to do it but for the most part a DIY is a DIY for a reason....you want it how you want it. Back to my post of my screen...it is doing an awesome job and I am tired of others commenting on how worng it is. You have no idea how I have it setup other than the pics I post. Not that I am against constructive critism but come on...really. You think you are going to tell me how wrong my setup is when you have never seen it in person and how it operates. :mad2:

DavidinGA;982636 wrote:

Those specs are pretty much right for good results on a 100-200 gallon tank. Many people make their screens really large, which ends up being less effective than a smaller screen with more concentrated light and better flow. You could even bump up the wattage of the bulbs if you aren't getting yellowing directly in front of them.

reeferboy83;982652 wrote: I value your opinion DavidinGA but if it works why mess with it?? No my screen is not over sized I like it just the size it is and for me I have sufficient light. It works perfect for me and my setup. You know I have been on these forums for several years and it just amazes me how some people on here have nothing better to do with their time than to criticize others. I am assuming it gives you a rush to make others think you are a know it all and so far superior to someone else. To me it just tells me how much of an idiot you are. People are going to set their system up however they want to....granted there are some things that have a right way and a wrong way to do it but for the most part a DIY is a DIY for a reason....you want it how you want it. Back to my post of my screen...it is doing an awesome job and I am tired of others commenting on how worng it is. You have no idea how I have it setup other than the pics I post. Not that I am against constructive critism but come on...really. You think you are going to tell me how wrong my setup is when you have never seen it in person and how it operates. :mad2:
It doesn't sound like you value any helpful advice.

I wasnt trying to sound like a know it all, I was just offering constructive criticism.

**** people these days are wound up so tight and flip out so easily.... Chill dude it's okay man, seriously.....

DavidinGA;982668 wrote: It doesn't sound like you value any helpful advice.

I wasnt trying to sound like a know it all, I was just offering constructive criticism.

**** people these days are wound up so tight and flip out so easily.... Chill dude it's okay man, seriously.....

Yes I Value other peoples constructive criticism...its just those who think they know better than the next guy that I dont care for.

Back