All-in-One tanks

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
With all the discussion about the group buy on 50g low boy tanks and several folks talking about doing all-in-ones, I thought I would share some info on a design I came up with back in the mid 80's. I've been building all-in-one tanks for 3 decades anywhere from 2.5g up to 150g. Had some tie today so I made a short video and wanted to share.

Thanks Dave! Do you recommend a certain thickness for the acrylic? Also do you have a source for it?

Thanks Dave! Do you recommend a certain thickness for the acrylic? Also do you have a source for it?

As far as sourcing acrylic, @tonytran509 can pretty much get whatever you need. Working with acrylic is what he does professionally and I know a few folks have gotten sheet good and pre-cut pieces from him.

I can get those cut to specs with all the slots and everything. I just need some details as i know everyone is going to run skimmer/no skimmer and different return pumps.

For thickness I agree, on the 50g, 3/16” is fine. I’ve used 1/8” on 2.5g to 5g tanks, 1/4 on 10 to 40g tanks, 3/8” on 50g to 90g tanks and 1/2” on 120g to 150g tanks. A word of caution on measuring the glass to glass width, the measurement should be 1/4” less so there is 1/8” between the edge of the acrylic wall and the aquarium glass. If the acrylic touches the sides of the tank there is a ham egg the aquarium can pop a seam and leak. There needs to be a cushion of silicone between the sides of the acrylic and the tank glass.

this is not a concern on the internal dividers in back of the false wall, they can but up to the glass.

@dball if you or anyone else can get me some dimensions I can draw it up in CAD.

Nice. I was trying to copy the back of my Nuvo40 for my frag tank, but this design looks groovy as well and much simpler

Dave your corals are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

In your opinion is it worth it to do a carbon reactor on a smaller, let's say 30 gallon? I've been using red sea carbon bagged into pantyhose for the past year or so.

@dball if you or anyone else can get me some dimensions I can draw it up in CAD.

Hey Zap, call me sometime tomorrow afternoon (847)660-9081, I have some thoughts on this that will allow folks to customize chamber size.

Only issue is what pump/skimmer everyone is running as they all range in sizes so the gap migh run different sizing

Hey Tony, good point. Depending on the skimmer footprint or how much someone might want to mod it, there is flexibility to how large each chamber can be. I’ll be. Talking with Zap to make the template more modular so someone can communicate size/dimension variations easily.

Dave your corals are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

In your opinion is it worth it to do a carbon reactor on a smaller, let's say 30 gallon? I've been using red sea carbon bagged into pantyhose for the past year or so.

i like to run a small amount of carbon (BRS ROX 0.8), about 1-2 ounces that I switch out every 3 weeks in my reactors. I also use a smaller amount in a piece of pantyhose in smaller tanks. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary but I feel that it’s a very small cost for the extra measure of safety it provides meaning if something bad gets in the water the carbon can help.

You mean the width @kullas? I think there no problem running the width of the chamber as wide as you want. 4-4.5 is tight for a lot of skimmer footprints @Rainblood. I’m doing something similar with a 40breeder and I’m prolly going with an 8” wide section to accommodate an appropriately sized skimmer for the tank.

You mean the width @kullas? I think there no problem running the width of the chamber as wide as you want. 4-4.5 is tight for a lot of skimmer footprints @Rainblood. I’m doing something similar with a 40breeder and I’m prolly going with an 8” wide section to accommodate an appropriately sized skimmer for the tank.
I guess so. Tank is 2x4 so the filter section would 2'x 8"

The back of my Nuvo40 is 4". Everything fits but I figured maybe add a little bit more for wiggle room. But I would default to experience - I've seen Dave's tank and its pretty groovy

Back