Always check your fiktersick before you wash it...

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
So I started washing my filter socks about 2 moths ago. Well today I did a water change and put the filter sock straight in the washer. Didn't even think about it, well when i went to wash it again (I always wash then 2 times to make sure their is no sope) I saw something the looked like a cricket.... Well it was one of my shrimp :sad: . It had to be alive before I washed it. It looked perfectly fine but it was dead. It really makes me fill bad that I killed an innocent shrimp... So.. Always check your filter socks before you wash them....

Lesson learned..

That is an awesome tip for all (even those of us using the mesh version). Just a few weeks ago I was missing my Aurora Gobi, yuppers....he recovered after a few days!

Excellent post!
I was rinsing my filter sock out once, had the hot water running in the sink, flipped the sock inside out and out popped my (beat up unrecognizable) nem! It hit the sink and hot, tap water hit it but with quick actions and TLC it recovered beautifully :)

OH MY Gosh I mad another spelling error. Make that *filtersock.

Camellia;976332 wrote: Excellent post!
I was rinsing my filter sock out once, had the hot water running in the sink, flipped the sock inside out and out popped my (beat up unrecognizable) nem! It hit the sink and hot, tap water hit it but with quick actions and TLC it recovered beautifully :)

It's pretty cool that nems can recover from things like that.

JDavid;976383 wrote: Lol fiktersick

I had a feeling you were going to comment about that. Lol.

I'm asking simply because I don't know (not to question you)..Is it safe to wash filter socks in the washing machine (with no detergent)? I mentioned this at my LFS and they made it sound like the worst idea ever. I thought it'd be a nice easy way to get them cleaned up, but they recommended just washing it with the hose (which doesn't work very well). Would like to see what everyone else thinks/does

jpines;976439 wrote: I'm asking simply because I don't know (not to question you)..Is it safe to wash filter socks in the washing machine (with no detergent)? I mentioned this at my LFS and they made it sound like the worst idea ever. I thought it'd be a nice easy way to get them cleaned up, but they recommended just washing it with the hose (which doesn't work very well). Would like to see what everyone else thinks/does

It has had no affect on my tank and I'm sure lots of members wash theirs to. I wash it once and I put a little bleach in. Then I was it a second time to make sure their is no soap/bleach left.

jpines;976439 wrote: I'm asking simply because I don't know (not to question you)..Is it safe to wash filter socks in the washing machine (with no detergent)? I mentioned this at my LFS and they made it sound like the worst idea ever. I thought it'd be a nice easy way to get them cleaned up, but they recommended just washing it with the hose (which doesn't work very well). Would like to see what everyone else thinks/does

My LFS had told me to do the following (which takes me 15 mins total and works really well):

1). Flip sock inside out
2). Rinse in sink with warm-hot water while wringing it out for 2 mins.
3). Place in bucket with a 50/50 water and bleach mix for 10 mins
4). Remove from bucket and rinse with clean warm-hot tap water while wringing for 2 mins.
5). Flip sock right-side out and continue rinsing for 1 more minute (or until no noticible bleach smell)

Again, this has worked well for me. In fact, my socks go into the process dark brown/green and smelling like a sick monkey yet come out white as if they were never used. :)

Well the teeth on the overflow almost touch the glass top.

search

Thanks guys..I'll try one of those methods next time it needs a change

you have to be careful listening to anything our lfs here in augusta tells you.ive always washed mine in the washer with a little bleach with no ill effects.

reeferman;976553 wrote: you have to be careful listening to anything our lfs here in augusta tells you.ive always washed mine in the washer with a little bleach with no ill effects.

Do wash them twice as well? And yeah I've learned that over the last few months :doh:

Back