Am I going too fast?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I read that "nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank."

With that in mind, I have been trying to move slowly with tank additions. Someone commented that I might be moving a bit too fast.

My tank has been up and running for about 3.5 months.
It never cycled since I got my LR from Sal's home tank and put it in mine with no die-off. I let it sit, nonetheless, for about 3 weeks.

I have in the tank the following (of course, not all added at once):
<ul>
<li>2 small clowns w/ small rose anemone (hosting)</li>
<li>1 fire shrimp</li>
<li>1 sea hare</li>
<li>1 yellow head goby</li>
<li>1 lawnmower blenny</li>
<li>1 sally crab</li>
<li>2 small cardinals</li>
<li>an assortment of critters (30 tiny snails, 10 bigger snails, 10 tiny hermits)</li>
<li>1 tiny frogspawn (bigger than a frag)</li>
<li>1 small daisy coral</li>
<li>1 small anchor/hammer coral</li>
<li>1 tiny candy cane coral</li>
<li>1 small clam</li>
</ul>Sorry if I didn't spell things correctly, but I expect you get the picture.

Is this too much for a 3 to 4 month period? My water parameters seem fine and I recently (Sunday) did my first 10% water change and major cleaning.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts on my progress.

-geno

Darn, I forgot to mention the size tank -- it's a 125g (72") with 30g sump

Your tank is going to tell you if you are going too fast. If everything is fine in the tank then I don't think you should have a problem. I probably wouldn't have added an RBTA this early but if it is doing alright then more power to ya! Good Job Man!!

I agree with Chris. I'm old school when it comes to adding livestock and it took me six months to a year to add the livestock to my 70G reef. I've had pretty good success with the tank going slowly and only adding one or two small fish a month and then letting the system adjust to the new load. I also QT everything for 30 days to feed them and make sure they are healthy before going in to my tank. So, if I were you I'd sit back for a month or two and enjoy the tank before adding more livestock. Sounds like things are going great for you so enjoy it!
Bob

Ya, I have to agree with chris... I think the addition of the RBTA and the Clam might have been a bit fast. There are some animals that need a WELL established tank (Anemones, Clams, Starfish, Mandrins, etc) and it is best to wait on these guys. Now with that being said, it is not unheard of that you can add them before, you just need to make sure you care for thier needs. Also you have to be aware of the dangers of that seahare. Nasty little buggers that if they die can take out an entire 125gal tank. So make sure it has food and is healthy.

Other then reading a bit more about what you buy, I think you are great. As long as you can care for what you buy, I think you are in good shape.

Geno, post pics of your tank! I was looking at the 72" 125 at Sals and those are sweet tanks. I wanna see what it looks like setup.

I'm glad I asked -- sounds like everyone is in agreement that it's time to slow down (and I thought I was going slowly...:lol2:)

I don't know what an RBTA is.

I'll try to post some pictures -- I've had problems doing so in the past -- I know it's something strange with my PC.

Also, I am worried about the sea hare. I learned after buying it that if it dies it could claim the whole tank. The sucker is hard to find. He has plenty of algae to eat to keep him happy -- but since I don't see him often -- I'm constantly concerned.

Thanks -- had no idea what that stood for.

You know the anemone is really doing well. I feed it about 1/week with some mysis shrimp -- and while the clowns lost interest for a while -- they're back hosting again.

I recall the first time the anemone deflated -- I thought it was dead -- only to learn that it was pooping -- at least that's what someone told me. He does it regularly now -- and I don't worry.

I'm gonna try and upload some pics here.
-geno

Here are a few pics -- I really hope it works this time.

-geno
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
176373=10824-DSC_0020.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10824-DSC_0020.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0020.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10825-DSC_0022.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10825-DSC_0022.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0022.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10826-DSC_0023.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10826-DSC_0023.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0023.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10827-DSC_0024.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10827-DSC_0024.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0024.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10828-DSC_0025.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10828-DSC_0025.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0025.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10829-DSC_0026.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10829-DSC_0026.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0026.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10830-DSC_0027.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10830-DSC_0027.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0027.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
176373=10823-DSC_0028.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176373=10823-DSC_0028.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0028.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here's the big picture
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
176375=10831-DSC_0019.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
176375=10831-DSC_0019.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC_0019.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

In addition to what others said, I would do water changes more frequently. I do about 10% every week or so. It keeps things stable and working well. I am 19 months into my 90 gallon set up and all is well.
Joe

While Sunday was my first water change, I do plan to do it more often.

I considered hiring someone to maintain the tank -- but it's expensive and I think once I get a rhythm I should be able to do it rather quickly.

I checked a number of the tank parameters at lunch today.
<ul>
<li>Ammonia = 0</li>
<li>Nitrate = 0</li>
<li>Nitrite = 0</li>
<li>Phosphate = 0</li>
<li>Calcium = 400 (maybe a bit low for corals)</li>
<li>KH = between 143 and 161</li>
<li>pH = 8.1</li>
<li>Temp = 78</li>
</ul>I was going to add 2 small tangs today (yellow and sailfin) -- but based on everyone's comments -- I guess I'll wait a while.

-geno

Nice tank.

However, in my opinion, if you have to ask yourself if you're going too fast, you probably are. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

George,

The reason I posed the question was due to a comment made about my tank on another BBS.

Frankly, I thought I was going at a reasonable pace -- especially with the parameters checking out okay.

Therefore, I posed the question to my friends here at the ARC.

As you saw, most suggested that I slow my pace -- these recommendations caused me to halt my planned purchase today of 2 tangs.

So, then, what is a reasonable pace? One animal (fish/coral/etc.) per month -- who really knows?

Ah, I though you were thinking you were going too fast. I missed the "someone commented" part.

Remember when filtering opinions on the net, nobody but you sees your tank every day, tests it, and knows how things are going. Only you can get a feel for what's too much and/or too fast. And what is too fast depends on how much time and effort you put in.

I think I know what board you're probably talking about and I don't think the people that overwhelm the posts regularly know their heads from the hole in their backsides. The alarming lack of knowledge of physics/chemistry and glaring inability to analyze or even debate effectively has rendered said board plain useless to our hobby, in my opinion. Even a search for useful opinions or information involves wading through dozens incorrect and inflammatory posts just to get at a useful idea.

George,

You didn't miss the part about the other BBS -- I failed to mention how I became concerned about my progress. Someone thought I had a bit more life in my tank than they thought was appropriate for its age.

I feed pretty sparingly and only once per day.

I have had some long hairy algae growth (sorta in clumps) I yanked all that out Sunday and left the short algae on the back glass and sides for snail and sea hare food. Also, my lawnmower blennie likes it.

Frankly, there's not that much movement in the tank -- everyone loves to hangout on the right side. The most fun I have watching is when the clowns snuggle into the anemone and when the goby sifts the sand.

I have to go out of town in a few weeks and I'm terrified about leaving the tank. I will have someone staying at the house whom I will instruct on how and how much to feed. Hope that works.

-geno

how are you maintaining your calcium, mag & alk? very important for you clam & corals.

I added my clam after about 3 months. I'm now a year into it and my clam is still alive and doing well as well as my first anemone (GBTA). I get complements on my clam every time someone sees it so I'm sure it's healthy.

I think it has less to do with the tank and more to do with the person. Mistakes are still very easy to make at 3 months and one mistake can be tragic. Like a 3yo dumping a bottle of flake food into the tank (which happened to me) and I wasn't sure how to handle it.

Your fish are small and your tank is huge. If you started with live rock (and it looks like you have quite a bit), I imagine the tank has enough micro organisms to handle those guys.

Probably wait for the tangs. Not because of the bioload, but because you might want a bit more experience to deal with any ich issues.

I have purchased some Brightwell products that are supposed to help the clams and corals. I use it as directed -- sometimes a bit less than recommended.

Loren, I appreciate your comments. I agree with you that the tank should be able to handle the load -- but my experience with anything outside the norm is very, very limited. I tend to worry more than I should -- I act like a new father with this tank. It has become my passion. I have some quality books on reef tanks -- but I value most the comments from people like you and others here at the ARC.

I will be out of town for a few days -- and frankly -- that has been my primary reason for waiting to purchase any additional fish. I decided it would be in my best interest (and that of the fish) if I was home to monitor their progress. Since Tangs can be a bit iffy with ich -- I will only buy one that has been in my LFS for at least 2 weeks. I have found one like that and I have monitored his behavior on multiple visits. He is very well adjusted -- I still plan to wait until after the first of June to make a purchase.

Thanks again to all who have been so willing to share your experience with me.

-gene

Back