And god said let there be no light

ronnieblaze

Market
Reaction score
So in my attempt to ward off the red hair algae that just showed up.. ive decided to cover the tank for 24 hours after doing a 10g WC lastweek and another 15g on sunday

Go longer if you can. {Geez, just like a woman to say that...........

i have no problem letting it go for 2 or 3 days.. im just concerned with my tank mates

Seriously, you can kill green algae in 24hrs with no light, but red is more tenacious and seems to require less light, so a longer lights out period might be called for. Any anemones should be moved from the tank, or they will wander everywhere looking for light and you never know where they will wind up.

Barbara, I had a long talk with my son on the way to the party, told him this was Daddy Time </em>and not for his entertainment. That and a few breaks to get his hyper </em>out (as he puts it) seemed to do the trick, but he is very mild manored and well behaved for the most part.

Dakota9;113626 wrote: Seriously, you can kill green algae in 24hrs with no light, but red is more tenacious and seems to require less light, so a longer lights out period might be called for. Any anemones should be moved from the tank, or they will wander everywhere looking for light and you never know where they will wind up.

Barbara, I had a long talk with my son on the way to the party, told him this was Daddy Time </em>and not for his entertainment. That and a few breaks to get his hyper </em>out (as he puts it) seemed to do the trick, but he is very mild manored and well behaved for the most part.

no anemones so i should be fine there.. i have i right now is 2 xenia and toadstole coral wise.. fish i have a scooter and watchman with a pistol shrimp

I'd (personally) leave it all in there with lights out for 72 hours. I would start back up with just the actinics the first day, and a short daylight period the second, ramping back up to your regular photo period.

i only have 1 set of lights 1 actinic bulb and 1 daylight and i cant control them individually.. i know it sucks... im planing on getting another fixture so i can control them better... im running T5 HOs

added a picture of what the algae looked like on monday
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
113644=6991-l_96bab007a5bd7ae47a7b0326d39bcc32.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
113644=6991-l_96bab007a5bd7ae47a7b0326d39bcc32.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="l_96bab007a5bd7ae47a7b0326d39bcc32.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Lift your canopy or light housing and unplug the daylight bulb for the start up day. Put it back in the second day.

I have some of that, but fortunately, its not taking over......

jefft;113658 wrote: Lift your canopy or light housing and unplug the daylight bulb for the start up day. Put it back in the second day.

thats a good idea.. i took a look at this morning and it has gotten alot smaller in size.. so it looks like its starting to die off...

Back