Anemone Inexplicably Ripped over night...

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I spent much time looking at my tank yesterday and know I did not see this yesterday. My RBTA has a rip in him. An area on this disc section the tentacles protrude is ripped apart it seems. I'm not sure how this could have happened as only my two onyx misbarred clowns are in the tank, and even they have very little interest in the anemone.

I'm going to try to get pictures, as its interesting looking since the BTA is fully inflated and seems to be as healthy as ever.......

Dakota9;324250 wrote: I spent much time looking at my tank yesterday and know I did not see this yesterday. My RBTA has a rip in him. An area on this disc section the tentacles protrude is ripped apart it seems. I'm not sure how this could have happened as only my two onyx misbarred clowns are in the tank, and even they have very little interest in the anemone.

I'm going to try to get pictures, as its interesting looking since the BTA is fully inflated and seems to be as healthy as ever.......

Could it be splitting?

I hope its splitting, but the pessimist says its dying and polluting my tank. Every other time I've had one split, it hid for a day or two, and this one is out in the open.

Look toward the center of each pic and you can see the rip. Also on the last two pics from side view, note the anemone's body, as usually it is quite smooth and sleek, and today it is slightly bumpy and has a seam, ridge, line </em>running through it, and to make it worse, that line runs right up to the split part of the anemones tentacle disc

Well, guess I'll go back and watch some more

And usually he has a definite defined mouth but today, theres no mouth as he's kinda just funnel shaped........... weird

Oh and its definitely a rose (but not a flame) bta, I dont know why he's coming out so orange in the pics.....

My rbta got int my PH a couple days ago and I'm not sure about it either.

Monitor your protein skimmer foam head closely. If it disappears check the 'nem because that could mean it is dying and releasing body contents.

My skimmer stopped working for half a day when my 'nem got cut up.
Dave

No, thats not the case, its interior shape is changing. Its not easily described, but instead of it looking like normal, kinda like the head of a sunflower with a mouth in the middle, its shaped more like a funnel. Kinda like the mouth has recest back deep into the BTA...... I'm keeping my eye on it, but its like watching paint dry........ Its just sitting here doing what it does everyday, with a rip in the side , although now that ripped part is kind of overlapping, folding back NOT together but side by side....

Barb, are you going to be home later this evening? I have time to come and get that salt if possible

Back