Anemone on fire?? Please HELP!

shaned

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 175 gal sw tank and tonight I noticed my two RTBA and green anemone are shrinking and SMOKING pouring out of the mouths?!!! My tank is getting cloudy now and I have NO IDEA what's going on .. PLEASE HELP!

The only recent addition to my tank was a beautiful elegance coral from Saltwater City and a new piece of live rock (white with lots of shells imbeded) and a small blue tang (it died last night). Sal is GREAT at Saltwater City and he has great pricing and customer service too.

Please call me ASAP at 678-662-6336 to determine what's wrong here .. or just reply via E-mail here at the ARC.

Thanks,
Shane Draper

I have a 175 gal sw tank and tonight I noticed my two RTBA and green anemone are shrinking and SMOKING pouring out of the mouths?!!! My tank is getting cloudy now and I have NO IDEA what's going on .. PLEASE HELP!

The only recent addition to my tank was a beautiful elegance coral from Saltwater City and a new piece of live rock (white with lots of shells imbeded) and a small blue tang (it died last night). Sal is GREAT at Saltwater City and he has great pricing and customer service too.

Please call me ASAP at 678-662-6336 to determine what's wrong here .. or just reply via E-mail here at the ARC.

Thanks,
Shane Draper

Linda Lee,

WOW .. that was a FAST response! Thanks!
I've never seen this before .. is this waste deadly to anything else in my tank?

Thanks again,
Shane

Linda Lee;174002 wrote: expelling waste

I'm told it's normal. Maybe someone who has more experience with this should chime in here. I'm only repeating what I've read and don't have personal experience.

Sorry I didn't do lots of research .. what can you tell me about this piece please? Will it cause problems with anemones or other items? It's located in the bottom of my tank in the sand and doing well. It's also very beautiful.

Thanks,
Shane

DrNecropolis;174013 wrote: So... You bought that beautiful elegance, you did a lot of research before the purchase, right?

a>

http://www.elegancecoral.org/">http://www.elegancecoral.org/</a>
I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger, they are known for stinging other corals around them and a very short life span..
Maybe someone with one will chime in

Elegance is very aggressive, but I would think in a 175g it should have room for you to place it far away from any other corals. It can have a pretty wide extension and pack a powerful sting.

If you have it close to your 'nems, that could be a problem.

According to your description it's pooping .. just never saw this before tonight and I've had them almost a year now. I have a large tomatoe clown picking at them too. I also have a mated pair of clarkie clowns but they are not picking at them yet. Hope they come back soon.

Thanks,
Shane

Barbara;174023 wrote: When a BTA poops it shrinks and cloudy, mucus looking stuff comes out of it's mouth. Do you have clowns? Are they picking at the stuff coming out of the nem? If so, it's probably just pooping.

The tang was purchased Saturday and died Sunday night. This was the first fish to die in my tank for a LONG time. Sal at Saltwater City already said it will be replaced free ..very nice! It was acclimated with a 2 hour drip in a small bucket and then introduced to my tank. He looked very happy and was not bothered by other fish, etc. The tang had blue and black stripes with a yellow tail .. I believe it's called a Paracanthurus hepatus.

Thanks,
Shane

DrNecropolis;174026 wrote: Just wondering... Why did the tang die? How was it acclimated? And what type of blue tang?

Not sure what spawning looks like .. but they have something similar to a cloudy, smoky substance coming out of their mouths and they are shrinking very quickly now.

What does spawing look like anyway?

Thanks,
Shane

Mockery;174029 wrote: They look like they are spawning (sp?)

A blue hippo tang.. Sal's a great guy..
I don't think its spawning :)
I would hate any coral spawning... Lots of ammonia

There must be two threads going. I thought I'd already responded once saying my guess was it's expelling waste.

Because of the color (*white smoke*), I'm going to change my vote to spawning after reading a bit on http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemonereprofaqs.htm">Wet Web Media</a> <--- here.

This is a question that sounds very similar to yours (and if your nems have spawned you'll want to do a quick water change and then a few more):

<p style="text-align:left;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkred;">[B]Anemone Spawning Event – 4/24/08[/B]</span></span>
<span style="color: darkred;">Good day to you and everyone who reads this.</span>
<span style="color: darkred;">[B]<Hello, Brenda here!>[/B]</span>
<span style="color: darkred;">This was a first for me, I came home from work to find my LTA normally the size of a dinner plate down to the size of a cup saucer but standing up a good 10 inches with the tentacle's tight and curly. The mouth was out about half an inch to three quarters of an inch with white "smoke" coming out no pun intended. This lasted for about three to four hours as it slowly went down in size. My 72g tank now looks very milky and the skimmer has stopped working (just like when oils from your hand get to it). So I guess my question is: Is this sperm and what is the best way to clear my water without over doing a water change?</span>
<span style="color: darkred;">[B]<Yep, your anemone spawned! You need to do a large water change, no other way unfortunately. I also recommend running some fresh carbon. I would do this as soon as possible. Keep an eye on everything, and be prepared for more water changes. Good luck! Brenda> [/B]</span>

<p style="text-align:left;">I thought anemones always reproduced asexually (splitting). I didn't realize they also reproduce sexually (spawning).

Thread in for-sale section merged into this one...duplicate.

LorenK;174114 wrote: Thread in for-sale section merged into this one...duplicate.

Thanks! I thought I was going bonkers and seeing double

(again)

:unsure:

Back