Another amazing coral, not too common....

reefrunner

Market
Reaction score
Just picked this beauty up! Amazing coral, amazing color.... Called an echinomorpha

Enjoy
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
971094=55140-image.jpg
>
971094=55140-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

HiImSean;971105 wrote: Nice. Some sort of acan?

I don't believe so, similar to echinata.... Here's a pic of the zero edge.... Just coming along nicely
971108=55141-image.jpg
>
971108=55141-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Do you run blues all the time or just at night? And awesome tank. Looks like you have some pretty exspensive coral in their.

It looks like an orange crush acan echinata. I have an orange crush. If yours is like an orange crush, give it some space, as it can be mean to neighbors.

ReefRunner;971108 wrote: I don't believe so, similar to echinata.... Here's a pic of the zero edge.... Just coming along nicely

I meant in the Acanthastrea genus. Your tank is looking awesome. Any more pics of it?

Turns out Echinomorpha is a genus name, completely unlike echinata, which is a species in the genus Acanthastrea. The genera Acanthastrea and Echinomorpha belong to completely different families. Although they both belong to the same order, Scleractinia, Echinomorpha belongs to the family Pectiniidae and Acanthastrea belongs to the family Mussidae (according to my sources,and this stuff is subject to change as things are often reclassified as we learn more about them).

However, Echinomorpha is actually a genus of chalice corals. It's known for it's larger than average centralized corallites.

Read about it here
a>

ReefRunner;971108 wrote: I don't believe so, similar to echinata.... Here's a pic of the zero edge.... Just coming along nicely

Whoa the zero edge! Amazing tank.

It has plenty of room..... It's fairly large and looks similar to a bowerbanki in form..... Seems to be that these are not very common..... The blues run primarily at night, just because it looks sweet!! no blues in the day..... Thanks for the compliments
971177=55151-image.jpg
>
971177=55151-image.jpg

Pic of my rotundaflora, pectina and some rainbow acans
971185=55152-image.jpg
>
971185=55152-image.jpg

Here's my orange crush echinata
971191=55153-image.jpg
>
971191=55153-image.jpg

This sort of peaked my interest, and I have been finding more instances of corals that resemble Acanthastrea sp. And Lobophyllia sp. being called rare Echinomorpha corals than corals that resemble other common chalice type corals. Very nice specimen you have there, much more attractive colors than the ones I have been looking at pictures of.

Very nice! I was thinking about this tank the other day. Hadn't seen pics since you first set it up. Glad to see it's doing amazing!

Declanisadog;971226 wrote: Very nice! I was thinking about this tank the other day. Hadn't seen pics since you first set it up. Glad to see it's doing amazing!

Thanks. It's doing amazing and love to watch it all the time!

Here's a cool top top of my pectina
971244=55156-image.jpg
>
971244=55156-image.jpg

Back