Another Excellent Product form MRC

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I just picked up a Nielson Kalk Reactor from Big D and I have to say after getting this monster set up and running it, like the other MRC products I have, is absolutely superb. Excellent workmanship, design and function. My DIY Kalk reactor, RO chamber from Lowes, was not as efficient of will be as effective as thie MRC Reactor by far. The stirbar mechanism is genius in design, creating a swirling stirring effect, only slight not to create white kalk effluent leaking back into the tank. I haven't decided if I am going to put in onto my top-off or have it controlled by my controller. I definitely am going to use a Aqualifter to feed the Reactor instead of the small powerhead. I have been doing a lot of research on amount of time to stir it per 24 hours, does anyone have a reactor and if so what is your stirring schedule? Thanks in advance!

Another useless post without pics! lol, just messing, but pics once all situated would be sweet!

I was about to make one of the DIY reactors....so it didn't work well for you?

No..my DIY worked great. I just wanted something that was a little more automated and I had to have a fix for my "gadetitis"!

glxtrix;147405 wrote: Another useless post without pics! lol, just messing, but pics once all situated would be sweet!

I'll post up some pictures this week after I move my Calcium Reactor and the Nielson Reactor to a differrent location. The area under my stand is way too cluttered especially since I added the second chamber to the MRC 1.

I had one of these at one point. Leave it stirring 24x7. They're nice designs, but I found that the stir rod didn't always start up again if you ran it on a start/stop cycle. However you might try it with a start/stop. It doesn't really matter how long you stir it as long as you stir it up for about an hour a day. Once the water inside reaches saturation, it maintains that until you run the dosing cycle again.

For the cycle, I'd suggest running an Aqualifter to the MRC. Run it for a set time each day as the stirring mechanism will maintain a pretty consistent mix. Use a Guest valve on the output of the lifter to keep the dosing at a drip, especially if you leave the mixer on 24/7. Then, after you have run the dosing cycle, fire up your ATO system to fill in any remaining water.

The combo will ensure that excessive evaporation doesn't nuke your tank with kalk and won't lower your salinity if you dose enough kalkwasser to cover evap.

Big D;147683 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Too funny... It was this one!</span>
I suspected.

Of all the systems I've tried for calcium, which is everything but a Calcium Reactor, the Kalk dosing worked best by far. When I get a new tank going, there's not going to be any two-part dosing other than to make macro adjustments.

I'd also add that the motor in it is the last one that MRC had so take care of it.

They did quote me something like $125 (I *think*) to convert it to the new design. If you're interested, you might check and see if they'll still do it. That was straight from Andy and it was discussed because the original motor was shot, so that possibility may not be available anymore.

Back