Another ID pleasee -- is this a brittle star -- or too many legs?

geno

Market
Reaction score
This came on the coral I purchased today. When I put the coral in the tank this guy started running for cover. I caught him just in case he's a bad dude -- that's why I need your help.

I looked up what I thought he might be (black brittle star) -- but he's got too many legs -- unless they can have as many as they want:)

Put him in the tank -- or flush him?

Thanks,
-gene

Sorry for the wasted space on the board here -- If anyone is willing -- I'll send a PM with the pic to help ID this guy.

Post it on imageshack.us and link the picture :)

Likely the filesize is too large...you can downgrade the picture and it will likely post. for some reason, the site does not give an error when that occurs.

Barbara -- it came off a montipora -- it was taking a ride.

I suppose the current in the tank could have contributed to the apparent rapid movement.

Nonetheless, here's what I have (I sure hope this smaller pic works!).

BTW, I called the LFS and the guy who sold it to me thought it was a spiny black brittle star -- UNTIL I told him how many legs it had.

I used to have problems loading from Firefox -- now from Microsoft -- here I am back on Firefox for a try.

This will be my last attempt -- if this doesn't work -- the sucker goes in the toilet!

I rebooted and decided to try again -- I really want someone to see this thing.

Sorry for all the drama -- I'm getting very frustrated:sad:

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/rgmcloud/">http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/rgmcloud/</a>

You will probably have to copy and paste into your browser -- sorry for the hassle

Okay -- what is this thing?

-gene

It's a basket star, I'm not sure if they're reef safe. PRetty cool find though.

Its a feather star and it feeds on suspended food particles, I have one in a 72 gal sps reef and its completely harmless

Those guys are sweet! I used to have a maroon one. Fast movers. I'd love to get my hands on another one.

After your comments -- I put the dude in the tank -- he's hiding as I was expecting he would. Don't know if I'll ever see him again based on what I've read (unless I use a flashlight).

Barbara -- are you up and running again? I saw your post but didn't have enough experience to be helpful. I always appreciate your comments and I'm really looking forward to the day when I can help others.

-gene

Back