Another Top off question...help soon pls!!

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Another dumb question...

Where in the sump should I have the top-off drip into?

I cant remember how I had it set up in my old tank. My sump has three chambers:

overflow, fuge/mechanical area, return pump section.

I had it so that it was dripping into the fuge/mechanical while the float switch was in the return pump section. It seems like it was filling up the mechanical chamber too quickly and it would eventually fill up the return section but it took forever. When it finally killed the float switch there was way more water in the mechanical chamber than before it kicked on. Make sense?

Return pump section. Is the return section in the middle, or at the end? Are the baffles the same height?

I have mine setup going into the area with my skimmer (1st chamber) that way the fresh mixes with the SW before it goes back into the disp.

Sorry, I'm thinking everyone uses a regular old mechanical float valve with a reserve above the valve so when it lowers the water drips in...you want to at least measure the water level in the return pump section.

but of course the float switch is in the return section, that's the only place where the water should evap from. Odd though you say the water doesn't catch up? How long does the pump stay on to fill up whats needed?

rostato;299479 wrote: doesnt really matter where you put it

100% true.....just all depends on where you have room :) I mean, you could put it in your disp tank.....is that the best place, prolly not.

the image shows the sump. for some reason in the picture the the return section looks bigger than the skimmer section, but it's not.

I have the switch like lee said in the return section and the drip into the skimmer section.

Lee, it's an aqualifter and it runs at a constant stream for quite a while before the it stops. And like I said, when its done there is more water in the simmer section that when it started.....weird.

sorry image didnt show
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
299492=15589-skitched-20090301-215759.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
299492=15589-skitched-20090301-215759.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skitched-20090301-215759.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Well I could see it going for a bit because the AL only goes at a certain rate....slow. As for why there is more water in the skimmer section than the return.....that's just weird. I'd maybe switch it to the return section, you don't want the water level fluctuating too much with the skimmer you have.

would that be bad though because the FW might not have enough time to mix with the SW before going into the display???

ehhh....I don't think it's much of a concern. The AL pumps it slow, so there shouldn't be too much to worry about. Besides your return will mix it up on the way anyways.

What amount FW are we talking here, minimal - unless you set the low water level WAY low.
I just picked up a Tunze Osmolator and Einstein and set that up - for the max it is producing a cup of water at a time - In my 55g I wouldn't even mind dumping that directly in the display if I had to.
You're not dumping a 5gal bucket of FW at a time - so no concerns!

Robb

cool....yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing....i mean its minimal amounts at a time (albeit frequently throughout the day) like you said so no biggie.

Im just hoping this fixes the higher water level in the skimmer section issue.

well that level should technically be constant unless there is something blocking it/holding the water back.

I see my return section sometimes lower than the skimmer section - but that's because one of the foam filters is clogged and the mag7 draws more water than the skimmer section can provide through the foam.

But the other way around?

Robb

LilRobb;299535 wrote: I see my return section sometimes lower than the skimmer section - but that's because one of the foam filters is clogged and the mag7 draws more water than the skimmer section can provide through the foam.

But the other way around?

Robb

wow...didnt even think about that!!....

ill be that's the exact problem......I have a large piece of foam in between the skimmer section and the return that is really dirty because its been in there since I poured the sand in the tank......i bet you its just clogged. duh. thanks.....going to clean that out see how much it helps.

the whole piece of foam or just clean it?

if i take the whole thing out dont i have to worry about micro bubbles?

Yeah I guess in a sump like that. That's kinda lame. Try taking it out and see if you get bad bubbles. I'd avoid having that in there if you can.

Back