Any legchickans( electricians)out there? Lol

saltbubbles

Market
Reaction score
I have always wanted LED glow without giving up MH. After weeks of research, I found a thread on RC about using strips from a particular website. Now I have everything the thread says it's needed but I don't trust my husband with water and electricity lol.

I ordered three 96led strips and they e/a end in a black and red "naked" wire, ordered a pigtail connector which ends the same way and ordered an AC something it's just a plug that connects to the pigtail. On the thread I read, it said they "daisy looped"? Each string together. I don't understand that. And the strips are waterproof but if I put those along the inside rim of the tank what do I do with the "naked" ends? They also mentioned that they wrapped all wires in heat shrink wrap which I will buy but I am lost on the installation part.
Please help me!!! I don't want to get electrocuted or worse, lose my whole tank population.

Daisy Chain means they are hooked end to end. Power comes in to one and goes out to the next.

From Home Depot, you can by gut splices sized properly for the wire. You can also get a wire stripping tool that will crimp the but splices as well as the heat shrink tubing. Slide the heat shrink over the wire, put a butt splice on and crimp to the first wire, then crimp to the second wire. Once that is done slide the heat shrink over the butt splice and use a hair dryer on high heat to shrink it tight to the wire.

Now two things. A wiring diagram would be helpful to ensure you put the right wires in the right place. :) Second, it sounds like you are wanting to mount these in the tank and not in the canopy. I would not recommend that myself. :)

rdnelson99;883463 wrote:

Now two things. A wiring diagram would be helpful to ensure you put the right wires in the right place. :) Second, it sounds like you are wanting to mount these in the tank and not in the canopy. I would not recommend that myself. :)

Thank you Rich! Will take pics when I get home tonite and I wanted to place them around the brace inside like so:
http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715182">http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715182</a>

Maybe adjust the water level so that it is way lower?

Back