Anybody else catch stray electrical currents while reefing with no shoes on

rhyerob

Market
Reaction score
Just kinda curious if I have an issue. See title. Only happens when bare feet are on concrete in my pump room

yeah, I have felt it before. There is a whole thread I started about this.. Something is leaking, luckily it wasn't enough to hurt you. turn off one item at a time to find out what it is.. use a multimeter not your hand.

Sounds like you have a voltage leak on a piece of equipment, fined it, replace it and install a ground probe.
Water and electricity in not a good combo when stuff goes bad.

Ok but it still does not shock me when I am messing with the display only when I am in the sump room...AND not wearing shoes

Voltage travels the shortest distance to ground, power outlet to equipment to water to you to ground, bear feet is always a bad idea when working with water and electric, a rubber slipper will do.....just pretend your at the beach.
Use an electrical test meter (not your hand) and unplug equipment one at a time and you should be able to fined it.

MYREEFCLUB0070;988798 wrote: Voltage travels the shortest distance to ground, power outlet to equipment to water to you to ground, bear feet is always a bad idea when working with water and electric, a rubber slipper will do.....just pretend your at the beach.
Use an electrical test meter (not your hand) and unplug equipment one at a time and you should be able to fined it.

Not the shortest distance but the path of least resistance. Also, I would NOT recommend a ground probe. Do a search of this site for ground probe and I think you will be surprised.

I have used a grounding probe in the past. It caused the stray voltage...refuse to use them.

rdnelson99;988800 wrote: Not the shortest distance but the path of least resistance. Also, I would NOT recommend a ground probe. Do a search of this site for ground probe and I think you will be surprised.

Corrected, rich is right on it.

In theory. Could the DIY auto top of switch that us resting on the concrete be the culprit. Or is it more likely, statistically speaking, that I have a leak in my equipment

If the switches are low voltage it's hardly likely, but it's going to be hard to tell with out the testing process.

Rhyerob;988805 wrote: In theory. Could the DIY auto top of switch that us resting on the concrete be the culprit. Or is it more likely, statistically speaking, that I have a leak in my equipment

Concrete is a very good conductor. However, it is in contact with the ground and therefore would not transmit the current from the concrete to you but to the ground. On the other hand, if you contact a current in the tank it would transfer thru you to the concrete and on to ground. If there is a leak (and I am not sold on that fact) my bet would be a heater as was said earlier.

Rich. I'm going to join ARC as soon as I can as a result of your continued support...

Rhyerob;988839 wrote: Rich. I'm going to join ARC as soon as I can as a result of your continued support...

+1
Love this!

There are so many freely giving, helpful, people in the club :up:

99% of the time the source for a voltage leak is either a heater, as mentioned, or a power head. Try these first as you are eleiminating possible sources.

Grab a voltmeter and use it to track down the culprit. You can get them at harbor freight for around $10.

Rhyerob;988839 wrote: Rich. I'm going to join ARC as soon as I can as a result of your continued support...

Well thank you. But I could name so many who give so much knowledge and time about the actual hobby. What I throw in is a pittance com paired to some. But you will find that it is the best $30 you ever spent.

Well I was gonna list acroholic earlier as well. Go figure he'd chime in

Back