Anybody familiar with retrofitting a black box LED to dimmable?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this can be done but wanted to hear if anybody else has attempted this and how they went about doing it. I have a 2 channel black box that I'd really like to make dimmable.

I believe that if the ballast has a variable input then all I have to do is put a potentiometer on the line in. Does that sound correct?

Do you want 0-10v dimming so it can be controlled by an apex? If so, shoot a picture of the driver (led don't use ballast) and send it to me. I may have a driver you can have.

I am just guessing, but I bet that fixture doesn't have a variable driver.

If it is a variable driver, it would have 5 connections:: two for voltage in, two for voltage out, and another for the signal. I suppose, it could have two more for the fan.

I did it the easy way, yeah my easy way tends to be complicated and involves many, many steps ;-)

When I thought one of the old drivers went bad. I swapped out the old with a new dimmable one. Cussed a bit when it didn't fix the problem, as it turned out I had a LED that was bad that was missed when checked the first time. Now it's all sitting in the basement waiting for me to finish swapping out LEDs.

rdnelson99;1061328 wrote: Do you want 0-10v dimming so it can be controlled by an apex? If so, shoot a picture of the driver (led don't use ballast) and send it to me. I may have a driver you can have.

I'll crack it open and let you know. Yeah, I know it uses a "driver" and not a "ballast"....just wasn't thinking of the right words when I wrote the OP.

Back