Anybody know how to cut magnets?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I have an old impeller from a Mag pump...a rather large one. I thought I'd take a shot at a DIY project converting it to smaller magnets to use as MJ mounts. I need to find out what will cut these. I believe they are rare earth magnets with a plastic sleeve.:confused2:

If I remember correctly from school - cutting a magnet will destroy the cristalline structure within and de-magnetize it.

Robb

I've cut them before with a hacksaw....

you just about have to throw everything away that you cut it with because afterwards, everything is covered in magnetdust...

they aren't as strong after they've been cut/broken/etc... but they're still magnetized.. (at least the ones that I used were.. I didn't cut any of the stronger rare earth magnets or anything...)

Rbredding;448260 wrote: I've cut them before with a hacksaw....

you just about have to throw everything away that you cut it with because afterwards, everything is covered in magnetdust...

they aren't as strong after they've been cut/broken/etc... but they're still magnetized.. (at least the ones that I used were.. I didn't cut any of the stronger rare earth magnets or anything...)
+1 you can cut it but it will loose strength.

Back