Anybody use Marietta water out of the tap

holabird

Market
Reaction score
Just bought a 300 gallon acrylic tank and am getting it set up. I have had tanks before but just getting back in. I have never used tap water before but have talked to numerous people that have. I know tap water varies by different cities. I can go the RODI route but the initial 300 gallons will take me forever. Please don't bash me for thinking of using tap water as I know some of you do. Thanks

I use carbon filtered then Primed water near Town Center to top off my 5g at work.

I am considering doing treated tap water for a FOWLR at home. I need to test for phosphate but I used it for FW that was in a window that got a lot of light and didn't have any algae issues.

No I have never considered using tap water no matter how large or small the project is. If you believe RODI water is the correct route, why would size matter other than creating a larger problem...

With a tank that size are you planning on putting in a mixing station?

Depending on your water pressure you could put in a 150gal/day RODI system. If your pressure isn't high enough you could put a booster pump on it.

My incoming psi is 96-98 and it takes about 14 hours to fill 2 55 gallon drums.

I would STRONGLY recommend against using tap water. My suggestion is to be patient and make RO Water to fill the tank. Or if you don't want to wait pick up the water at a LFS for the initial filling.

I would not want to start a brand new tank on the wrong foot like that.

When I set up the 120, close to 6 years ago, I used tap (in in my case well) water. I always had an minor algae issue in that tank. It never went away, although I was able to keep it in check with herbivores and media. I don't know if the well water caused it or bad maintenance practices caused it as I am guilty of both. The entire time it was set up in the back of my mind, I wondered about if I caused it.

When, or if, I set up the 180 I think that I take more time and eliminate anything that might cause issues.

OK. I agree with all of you. RODI water it is. Sewer Urchin, thanks for the offer but I will just go to a LFS for the initial 300 gallons and get a filter for the rest. I was pretty sure this would be the result but I thought I would ask. Thanks to all of you.

civics14;1090934 wrote: Just wondering why not getting an RODI unit now instead of trying to haul 300g from a lfs?

That's what I was thinking too. That's 60 5gal containers and it just fills the tank. Don't know how big your sump is holabird but just add that to the trips and weight carried. I would build your filtration and mixing around the tank first. Not the other way around.

Is there a reason you're in a hurry to get water in the tank?

No hurry. I just don't have a good place to run the RODI. I used to have a great basement sump room with a sink drain for my 180 but nothing here. I am getting an RODI to use for top offs just thought it might be easier to go to the store and get it. Still working out the kinks.

Hell, I'd run 100' of 1/4" line before I carried 360-400 gallons of water, twice. Once loading then unloading. You could even set up the RODI temporarily with a garden hose and run the waste line to a toilet.

If you look at my build thread you can see the storage/mixing station I built. I've got 210 gallons in a 4'x2' footprint. There are many ways to do it and save space. A 10% water change will be 35-40 gallons too. If something bad were to happen and you needed a bigger change won't you want to have some water on hand.

Not worth it for the potential problems and bulk haulage of 300 gallons of water at 8.8lbs/gallon. Especially if the tank's large enough to have to grab your scuba gear to do a complete algae scraper session. ;)

Besides, even at a conservative water change schedule (assuming you don't go with a triton-style method) of 10% every couple weeks you'll still come out ahead from an effort/cost perspective on getting a RODI vs toting 60-odd gallons of water every month.

You could also get people's water change water to fill up your tank

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are obviously enough people here who have seen the problems simple things like tap water can cause.

If you are going to have a tank that big i would HIGHLY recommend getting an RO unit and large enough storage containers that you can do a 100% water change if the need arises. Hell the sponsors have decent priced units and even ebay units will work fine and are dirt cheap.

Considering the costs involved spending a few hundred on a decent RO and mixing station will save you endless headaches down the road.

I have two 200g plastic tanks I got for cheap (can be found on ebay easily), one for fresh and one for salt. As long as both are filled I can do a 100% water change on my tank and be ready to do it again in 4 days. That saved my *** only 3 months ago when I had my floors redone and it nuked the tank.

Cliffs: Dont take short cuts and crap happens, be prepared.

I used to loan out a DI unit. No RO, just carbon and 2 DI cartridges. You can fill at 'tap water speed' or a bit less, and still end up with no chlorine and close to 0 tds.

Anybody with an old RO manifold lying around could easily fashion one.

Jenn

I started a take 1.5 years ago - I am in east cobb it was a 92 gallon - I used tap water with water conditioner. that tank was FOWLR. About 3 months ago I started added corals to the tank and had no issues with them at all. I have decided to take that tank down and am now doing a 190G tank and just installed a 4 stage BRS RODI 150G/day and am building a salt water mixing station. My thought process was, the 90 Gallon tank was a stepping stone and if liked the hobby I would prob get more serious and when I did I upgraded to RODI.

Back