Anybody use two part solution?

roundman

Market
Reaction score
I just started using two part and have a couple of questions.
1. When I mix up the first part not all of it goes into solution so there is a lot of the powder on the bottom of the jug. When I add part one to tank it turns to white flakes for a few seconds and then dissolves again. Is this normal.
2. Will this take the place of Kalkwasser?
3. With mostly softies, just a few SPS and LPS, should I be adding anything else to the tank?

Thanks

I have a two part solution called Ocean's Blend, but being my tank is mostly softies, LPS and just a few stonies, I rarely use the alk part. Water changes usually locks your alk where it needs to be, and I alternate between the Cal part and Purple Up for my calcium levels.

I make my own two-part according to Randy's receipe.

When I make the ALK solution I make it in a bowl so that I can stir it to help the baking soda dissolve. You can also warm it over a stove to help it dissolve. Then I just use a funnel and pour it into the jug. I "cook" the baking soda for an hour before adding it because my PH runs a little low.

When I add the ALK solution to the tank I do get the precipitation you are talking about. I add it slowly right in front of a power head. The fast current seems to help it re-dissolve more quickly.

Hope this helps.

Karl

roundman;103897 wrote: I just started using two part and have a couple of questions.
1. When I mix up the first part not all of it goes into solution so there is a lot of the powder on the bottom of the jug. When I add part one to tank it turns to white flakes for a few seconds and then dissolves again. Is this normal.
The alk part can be difficult to get into solution, especially when cold. Try warming up the jug in a sink full of hot water for an hour or two, then shake a lot. White flakes occur when I add part 1 too fast. Try adding it slower in an area of higher flow. When I add it, all that I get is a brief white cloudiness.
roundman;103897 wrote:
2. Will this take the place of Kalkwasser?
You shouldn't need kalkwasser when using a good 2 part
roundman;103897 wrote:
3. With mostly softies, just a few SPS and LPS, should I be adding anything else to the tank?
This is a loaded question with many differing opinions on the subject. IMO, if you're performing regular water changes, that will replenish your trace elements and you shouldn't really need to dose anything else. (Make sure your magnesium level is good, though.)

Hope this helped

I've been experimenting a little with my own 2 part, based off the website. Been using a dilute kalkwasser for top off, One tsp lime per 5 gal, and supplementing with cooked baking soda and magnesium. I do want to order the calcium chloride as I can't find it off the shelf around here. Used to live in Illinois where you had to have icemelt, snowshovels and commute in the white crap. Gee I love these winters down here.

Back