Anyone else here have really deep tanks that are hell to clean using a magnetic algae cleaner?

Jack Landers

Supporting
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I took one of my Flipper Algae cleaners that really isn't good for anything except lightly cleaning the glass on the front of my tank and I super glued a disposable razor blade to it used for window cleaning. Oh, it is amazing how well it cleaned my glass. One caveat is that I need to take it out of the tank when I'm not using it but it was really amazing how well it worked. I can't believe no one hasn't made one that you can use disposable razors in ONLY GLASS AQUARIUMS. I also took care not to get around the silicone.

That's pretty industrious of you. I never thought about attaching a razor to a glass cleaner!

Algae Free and Tunze have magnetic cleaners with replaceable metal blades.

Which model flipper do you have? Most have the option of a metal blade attachment.

I would be too worried to use a razor on a magnetic glass cleaner, especially if you're going from one panel to another. That sharp corner can scratch the heck out of the glass.

Also, if you superglue it, is it a one time thing and then you have to toss the entire scraper?

You should use “blow dryer” so the blade doesn’t get rusted. I’ve learn this from Clark Howard saving money on a laser blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of days ago, I took one of my Flipper Algae cleaners that really isn't good for anything except lightly cleaning the glass on the front of my tank and I super glued a disposable razor blade to it used for window cleaning. Oh, it is amazing how well it cleaned my glass. One caveat is that I need to take it out of the tank when I'm not using it but it was really amazing how well it worked. I can't believe no one hasn't made one that you can use disposable razors in ONLY GLASS AQUARIUMS. I also took care not to get around the silicone.
That is very inventive. The last time I was at @Steve Burton house he showed us a cleaning widget that he uses that also uses razor blades. I cannot remember exactly what it was though.

Stanley window scraper
I wipe the razor blades with alcohol first to remove the oil. Have to stick my arm in the tank though. 100 blades for $10.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-122609_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-122609_Chrome.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I used this first on a pole but didn't have enough control and couldn't get in tight spaces.

The blade is what I used and glued it to the steel blade piece on my flipper. I like the idea of blowing it out real good when I'm done with it.

Which model flipper do you have? Most have the option of a metal blade attachment.

I would be too worried to use a razor on a magnetic glass cleaner, especially if you're going from one panel to another. That sharp corner can scratch the heck out of the glass.

Also, if you superglue it, is it a one time thing and then you have to toss the entire scraper?
I have the 2 flipper max and the steel blade attachments used for glass. Doesn't really do that well.

A razor blade cleans the best on glass even if it is risky. In my experience. the flippers with the metal blade work well if used to clean the glass at least once a week. I went a few weeks on my 180 and I had to use a razor blade to clean it at that point, the flipper metal blade just couldn't cut through it. Also, I had one flipper that when new only cleaned a small section of the total blade width. I replaced the blade with a new one and that one was fine, so you can get a bad blade now and then.

A razor blade cleans the best on glass even if it is risky. In my experience. the flippers with the metal blade work well if used to clean the glass at least once a week. I went a few weeks on my 180 and I had to use a razor blade to clean it at that point, the flipper metal blade just couldn't cut through it. Also, I had one flipper that when new only cleaned a small section of the total blade width. I replaced the blade with a new one and that one was fine, so you can get a bad blade now and then.
I got one too many. It's also hard to clean a 36" deep tank.

Attachments

• 20221105_100950.jpg
    20221105_100950.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221105_100943.jpg
    20221105_100943.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221105_101506.jpg
    20221105_101506.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 14
Back