Anyone go lightless for a day?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
I have not done this in a while but I am going to leave my lights off today on my display. Does anyone ever do this to give your tank a simulated cloudy day? I have read posts on RC (a while back) that it is not a bad idea. Thoughts?

Why? :confused2: Does it supposedly do something beneficial? I don't get it.

I've done 3-4 days to get rid of red slime. But I don't think it would be a good idea just to simulate a cloudy day.

chauwall;174928 wrote: I've done 3-4 days to get rid of red slime. But I don't think it would be a good idea just to simulate a cloudy day.

THAT I understand...I've cut my lights back to just 5 hours a day for the last few days for the same reason. So far, seems to be doing a dandy job of cleaning up the bad algae and none of my livestock seems to be suffering. I've never heard of just cutting them off to simulate a cloudy day.

Has anyone else heard of this? (Not picking on you Darren. Just never heard of doing that...)

Just thinking that in nature the sun does not blaze at 100% everyday. I have been in tropical areas Hawaii etc. where it was nearly dark during the day for 2 -3 days due to storms. Just a thought.

i do it once a month... i take a powerhead and blast the sand , coral and live rock, until the tank is cloudy, then i leave the lights off for a day.. the next morning the tank is crystal clear....kinda stimulates a storm.. my orp also tends to rise after i do this, and the skimmer also produces alot more skimate,,

I guess if your goal is to simulate nature, it is a good idea.

But for growth, color, health? I wouldn't think so. But what do I know...

I see it as this: In our tanks we cater to corals' growth and color. If we have a healthy coral that isnt really growing, we arent satisfied. Growth + color = happiness. In nature, the weather doesn't cater to the coral. THe coral just deals with it. I think in some respects (but not all) our tanks can create more ideal conditions than the ocean (ie no storms to break the coral skeletons).

slayer77;174942 wrote: i do it once a month... i take a powerhead and blast the sand , coral and live rock, until the tank is cloudy, then i leave the lights off for a day.. the next morning the tank is crystal clear....kinda stimulates a storm.. my orp also tends to rise after i do this, and the skimmer also produces alot more skimate,,

Interesting. Wonder if that helps reduce the occasional cyano outbreaks. Hmmm...I could see doing something like that once a month. Still don't like leaving the lights off though...maybe just cut way back on that day.

slayer77;174942 wrote: i do it once a month... i take a powerhead and blast the sand , coral and live rock, until the tank is cloudy, then i leave the lights off for a day.. the next morning the tank is crystal clear....kinda stimulates a storm.. my orp also tends to rise after i do this, and the skimmer also produces alot more skimate,,

Power head!!! Why didn't I think of that?? I've been using a turkey baster to *dust* my tank contents and it takes forever.

One question... I've never *blasted* the sand. Isn't there a risk of a spike if you disturb too much substrate? And what is "orp" ?

Thanks!!

Slayer I do the same with the powerhead. I have never combined it with the day with out lights but I will today. I also see things "perk up" after doing an agressive blasting with the powerhead. I do not blow the sand bed up but do mix it around a little with my tank scraper.

Yeah I've heard of it. I do it at least once a month too. Your tank will always get ambient light, unless you're in a room with no windows. Even yet if thats the case, it' d be better for your corals that way. Lots of people use this practice over on RC and I'm definitely one of them.

jtshack;174949 wrote: Interesting. Wonder if that helps reduce the occasional cyano outbreaks. Hmmm...I could see doing something like that once a month. Still don't like leaving the lights off though...maybe just cut way back on that day.

If my algae starts to get out of hand, I often turn my lights off for a day, sometimes two days. It's never hurt anything. But then again, I don't have a lot of pricey corals.

When I turn the lights back on, I leave the actinics on first for a couple hours so the fish are not *SHOCKED* by the light after being in the dark for awhile.

And, Tracey Lee... your 100th post. Congrats! :D

2311383JT100posts.jpg
alt="" />

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential, or commonly referred to as Redox. I'm one of the newer ones around here, so I can't tell you exactly why some people measure this, but I know what it stands for. I believe people using ozone like to keep tabs on their ORP readings.
</span></span>

Momma&PapaFishels;174967 wrote: <span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential, or commonly referred to as Redox. I'm one of the newer ones around here, so I can't tell you exactly why some people measure this, but I know what it stands for. I believe people using ozone like to keep tabs on their ORP readings.</span></span>

Thanks! I don't use ozone, but I'd like to eventually. I've heard it's quite beneficial.

Also, along the lines of the lights on/off, does everyone run their fuge light opposite their display lights (i.e., fuge light is on @ night when display is off and vice-versa)? I've heard this keeps the pH in balance.

Linda Lee;174969 wrote: Thanks! I don't use ozone, but I'd like to eventually. I've heard it's quite beneficial.

Also, along the lines of the lights on/off, does everyone run their fuge light opposite their display lights (i.e., fuge light is on @ night when display is off and vice-versa)? I've heard this keeps the pH in balance.

when my daylights go off in my fixture then my fuge lights come on and an hour later the actinics go off. then when the actinics go off i start dripping kalk

I turn off my lights once a month as well. The next day when the lights go on the coral is much more vibrant and the extention of there polpys is remarkable...

Yup, do it aswell, was told awhile ago by an experinced reefer that it was good practice, been doing it for about 8 months

i have two powerheads tunze 6100 on a controller and a tunze nano 6045 when the actinics go off the 6100 goes off. if i shine a light into the tank the polyps extend and its all kind of night life going on. if i leave the light off for a couple days should i make sure the 6100 is running or will the SPS's be fine with the 6100 off for a couple days?

Back