Anyone have a 3-D printer?

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some black 3d printed eggcrate legs. Does anyone have anything that could make them? I don't want the PVC pipe look goin on. lol.

Found these.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. But I'd want them to be 3" tall - maybe even 4".

Challenge is printing with a reef safe material - my printer prints fine with PLA. PLA is reportedly not 100% reef safe and may break down after some time. ABS is reef safe but gives off obnoxious (and not all that safe) fumes while printing. I've messed with PETG filament which is reported to be reef safe but it likes to plug in the hotend I have on my printer.

I'll see if I can mess around and get one of these to print with PETG - it'll probably be at least a week before I have time to mess with it though.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. But I'd want them to be 3" tall - maybe even 4".
Challenge is printing with a reef safe material - my printer prints fine with PLA. PLA is reportedly not 100% reef safe and may break down after some time. ABS is reef safe but gives off obnoxious (and not all that safe) fumes while printing. I've messed with PETG filament which is reported to be reef safe but it likes to plug in the hotend I have on my printer.

I'll see if I can mess around and get one of these to print with PETG - it'll probably be at least a week before I have time to mess with it though.

I could see needing several dozen of them in varying heights myself, probably closer to a gross or more.
That's gonna be a lot for someone to do at home. Maybe we should look to split an order online?

I've never had anything printed. I think it would be super cool to do something like this though. I'm actually looking at 3-D printers now :p

Also, @lmm1967 if you're able to do these I'll gladly pay you for your time/supplies.

Wait - I don't know anything about printing, but it looks like there's a file to print 12 at a time. Are these files easy to edit to make them taller? Because that would be badass.

Wait - I don't know anything about printing, but it looks like there's a file to print 12 at a time. Are these files easy to edit to make them taller? Because that would be badass.
Very easy to edit - not a big deal at all.

Checkout tinkercad.com - its online, its free and it works just dandy for this type of stuff.

I like to use a minimum of 4 per rack but prefer 5. My 60 frag has 2 sets of 4 racks. So that's 40 right there.
The 2 troughs being 7x3 will most likely need 6 per rack because of the extra foot in width. If I go with 5 16"x 30" racks that's 20 racks, 120 posts. Whew, that's a lot. I'm months away from needing them though.

Glad to see you found a solution!

We have about 30x 3D printers at my work; and they’re free for my use, and personal projects encouraged. But mostly it’s all PLA, resin, and other materials. I know that ABS is somewhere there, but it would be a bit of work to swap everything out.

That said, I’m accumulating a folder filled with reef related prints. So when I do go through that effort of swapping out PLA for ABS, I can print a lot all at once.

Glad to see you found a solution!

We have about 30x 3D printers at my work; and they’re free for my use, and personal projects encouraged. But mostly it’s all PLA, resin, and other materials. I know that ABS is somewhere there, but it would be a bit of work to swap everything out.

That said, I’m accumulating a folder filled with reef related prints. So when I do go through that effort of swapping out PLA for ABS, I can print a lot all at once.
OMG ANDREW DO EET!

From my research PETG is the material of choice. I haven't tried it with my printer.

I'll have some clear PETG a couple other parts I've been meaning to upgrade on mine - I'll try to mess around this week or weekend and see if I can get this material to play nice.

If any of you are SUPER bored - below is a time lapse video of one of my previous attempts at printing PETG - the corners end up lifting and then I think I was cooling to quick and the layers don't adhere once you get a centimeter or 2 off the print surface.

All due to me not taking the time to sort out the best settings.

Back