Anyone keep Japanese Zoas?

tokejr

Market
Reaction score
I bought some Sunday from the (great) Marine Fish sale, and it's a lovely piece, but they haven't opened at all.

I understand they are "deep water" zoa and need a shaded area of the tank, but how shaded? No light? Just on the bottom in a lighted spot? Somewhere in the tank out of direct light?

Suggestions?

Here's a pic of them:

Na mine get plenty of light just not direct MH light . I assume they were open when you bought them.

Did you dip them? Do you have other zoas if yes are they open?

What about testing your water?

Joe

I agree but that is what they were sold to him as do you have anything helpful to add?

Joe

DrNecropolis;339682 wrote: I'm sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine.. But they are not Japanese

sailfish;339676 wrote: Na mine get plenty of light just not direct MH light . I assume they were open when you bought them.

Did you dip them? Do you have other zoas if yes are they open?

What about testing your water?

Joe

T5s here. No MH.

Did not dip them.

Other zoas open fine, 4 different varieties. But they've been in the tank for months - not new.

Water tests good - no ammonia, trites, trates. pH 8.2, calcium 435, magnesium a little high (1700), but we're getting it down with water changes, alk 14 dkh.

I bought fox coral, mushrooms and a pagoda at the same time - all open and happy.

I have always associated Deepwater with colder temps and less lighting but it seems to be just an influx of new naming.. Give them some time.. somtimes it can take a few days for zoas to open..

I agree with the Doc. could be nothing give them time. Your dkh is high IMO I would not worry about the mag.

I will suggest that you dip all new corals for pests. Here is a link to some pics of some that like zoas.

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384">http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384</a>

Joe

sailfish;339699 wrote: I agree with the Doc. could be nothing give them time. Your dkh is high IMO I would not worry about the mag.

I will suggest that you dip all new corals for pests. Here is a link to some pics of some that like zoas.

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384">http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384</a>

Joe[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Lots of opinions on the mag - some say you can't OD it, but it's what has my dkh so high. We couldn't keep the calc up and were advised to bring the mag up to get the calc in the right place. It did the trick with the calc, but we're still trying to get it just right on all the numbers.

Those are the numbers, though, when we put this coral in the tank. We test and log every day while we're trying to adjust.

I'll give it more time, I just don't know if I should move it. Right now, it's in a place that is deeply shaded - under a rock.

I looked closely with a magnifying glass when we were acclimating and saw no predators. I'll keep a close eye on them, though.

Thanks again, both of you, for your help.

ares;339859 wrote: since this has been a bit of a discussion with zoas lately. first just to say, there have been ALOT of "japanese" zoas hitting our shores lately, there is absolutely someone marketing them as such, and its not the LFS. No clue where they are coming from, but given that export of japanese corals is illegal, and the sheer volume of them suddenly pop up, I dont think they slipped them all under the radar.

which takes me to the "helpful" part. the japanese part is almost certainly a lie, which also means, so is the deep water part. it sounds fancy. deepwater has been used as a term for some SPS as well, and often these SPS require highlight, kind of strange.

anyway, give them some light, give them some time.

PS. all previous talk aside, whatever these "japanese" zoas are, they are so far, some of the most colorful zoas Ive seen. post a picture when they open up.

Thanks.

I've moved them up into some light and I'm going to see what happens next.

As soon as they open, I'll post a picture.

I didn't buy these because they were "Japanese." I bought them because they were pretty and I wanted the colors. And, vivid they were in the store.

I just want to position them so they get the best light and they grow well.

Then, everyone on ARC can have some!

The problem I have run into while researching them is this exact argument - "Japanese" vs. "Not Japanese" and absolutely no information about how best to grow them. All of that information seems to get lost in the debate.

ares;339859 wrote: since this has been a bit of a discussion with zoas lately. first just to say, there have been ALOT of "japanese" zoas hitting our shores lately, there is absolutely someone marketing them as such, and its not the LFS. No clue where they are coming from, but given that export of japanese corals is illegal, and the sheer volume of them suddenly pop up, I dont think they slipped them all under the radar.

Just for clarities sake, they are NOT "slipping under the radar". Illegally imported wildlife does not get amnesty if it is "Slipped in". The USFWS is very robust about that. If they did "accidentally" come in, they would either be A) confiscated if they were determined and labelled as Japanese corals, or B) Hidden and never indicated as Japanese corals. But, with the sudden appearance of them, and the blatant marketing as such, it is, withiout too much trediptaion- "creative marketing". If I had a Gorilla for sale that I illegally smuggled in, do you think the uSFWS would say "well, you snuck it in. You gt us! Go ahead and sell it for profit now- you earned it!". No way. They would lock me up in a room and throw away the room. This is, unfortunately decietful marketing by wholsesalers, but I wouldve hoped that the retailers wouldnt also play this game.

DrNecropolis;339951 wrote: Throw away the whole room?

They mean business.

Seriously, though, I import animals quite frequently for work. Once, through an innocent SNAFU with the airlines, the animals were released to me prior to USFWS inspection, and I didnt notice it. Bear in mind, this was not an endangered, or protected species at all. I recieved a call from USFWS stating that I had illegally imported these animals, and that I would be subject to a fine of like $10,000 per animal, and years in jail (etc etc etc). I was able to talk my way out of it, as I had provided all the documentation and they believed me, but they did fine the airlines, and I was told there will be no leniancy for it. I WAS in possesion of illegally transported animals, and that was criminal. I cant imagione hat theyw ould do if the animsl themselves were actually illegally acquired and imported.

Case in point- as pointed out by our May speaker, Jake Adams!!

a>

Post a pic when they open! All will be fine. I would avoid anything Jap./coral on web stores. That stuff can be tracked all to well. Local stores need not play that card. Spank them if you see it. I really dought a sponsor store would do that.

Ok, I read that Japanese corals are illegal to import but why is that... the answer can be PMed as to not clutter the thread here

Kirru;340848 wrote: Ok, I read that Japanese corals are illegal to import but why is that... the answer can be PMed as to not clutter the thread here

Feel free to clutter the thread with the answer.

That's an excellent question!

Son of Adam;340783 wrote: Post a pic when they open!

I will, if they ever open.

I'm seeing tips now, finally.......rather than closed up, rounded polyps. So maybe they'll open up soon.

Maybe they are collected by a person named 'The Japanese'. Like a Tyree or Tubs corals.

I really doubt these are true Japanese zoas.

I heard that you just can't import stoney corals but I have no Idea if thats true.

I know they sure are pretty.

JapZoas.jpg
alt="" />

Joe

Back