Anyone recognize this little whelk?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I love looking into my tank at night time. Some strange hitchhikers and funky critters that I do not recognize seem to make their ways out into the display. I noticed a tiny little whelk that I’ve never seen before. Anyone recognize this pattern and have an ID? Sorry for the photo quality. I’ll break out the camera next time.

Attachments

• B66C7945-7ACA-4035-8EFF-3A6A5199ADEA.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 28
I’ve seen similarly patterned ones that would hunt down and eat other snails. Keep an eye on him.

It looks like a baby tulip snail to me. They eat snails et. al. I'd love to take it off your hands if you don't want it. I have a tank set aside for things like this.
It's tiny right now, so I'm not worried about it killing my quarter sized trochus and astraeas. If it becomes an issue it's yours :)

Don't keep any clams around - many whelks will kill & eat those.

Size doesn't matter with these guys BTW - they drill a hole through their prey's shell.

Don't keep any clams around - many whelks will kill & eat those.

Size doesn't matter with these guys BTW - they drill a hole through their prey's shell.
Luckily I don't have any clams. I'll break the camera out and get a detailed photo for an ID later tonight and if it ID's as something harmful it's gotta go.

Thanks for the info.

Back