Anyone seen a problem like this with a fish?

redstang

Market
Reaction score
Yellow watchman goby with what looks like a broken jaw. Jaw is split down the middle and after getting larger seems to be staying the same size for now. I'm soaking food in selcon every other day for now. It's eating fine.
7550114b7b01a0bbecc55934759f0796.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have. Any idea how it happened?

If it heals without infection, and the fish still has the ability to eat, it will be fine, however disfigured.

I had a school of Mono argentus that came with my 1000g tank back in the day. We had them in a 75 while the big tank cycled, and some idiots came into the shop and were getting a kick out of startling the fish, causing them to dart in all directions, and one collided with a tank decoration, and shattered its lower mandible - skin was broken and the fragile bones kind of hung off for a few days til they fell off.

I was afraid I'd lose the fish, but it healed up, and despite having a permanent "surprised" look on its face (we called him, Mr. Bill - LOL- OH NOOOO!) it ate fine and lived another 4+ years and I sold it and the rest of the school when I sold the tank.

Chances are your goby suffered a mechanical injury of some sort - as long as it can still eat, it will survive.

Jenn

JennM;1002398 wrote: Yes, I have. Any idea how it happened?

If it heals without infection, and the fish still has the ability to eat, it will be fine, however disfigured.

I had a school of Mono argentus that came with my 1000g tank back in the day. We had them in a 75 while the big tank cycled, and some idiots came into the shop and were getting a kick out of startling the fish, causing them to dart in all directions, and one collided with a tank decoration, and shattered its lower mandible - skin was broken and the fragile bones kind of hung off for a few days til they fell off.

I was afraid I'd lose the fish, but it healed up, and despite having a permanent "surprised" look on its face (we called him, Mr. Bill - LOL- OH NOOOO!) it ate fine and lived another 4+ years and I sold it and the rest of the school when I sold the tank.

Chances are your goby suffered a mechanical injury of some sort - as long as it can still eat, it will survive.

Jenn

Pretty sure it happened during acclimation. It did start to get startled and kept diving at the bottom of the bag repeatedly. If the salinity difference hadn't been so great I would have just put it in but was worried about going from 1.020 to 1.024 so quickly. May have been better off risking the shock. So far it's still eating fine. Glad to know there's at least a chance of surviving though.

That's unfortunate but I think you were wise if it was moving up from 1.020 to 1.024 - that's quite a jump. Fish can go 'down' more quickly but up is more stressful.

Just one of those freak accidents I guess.

Hope he does OK. He's special now ;)

Back