Apex alternatives

GHL - pricey, german arrogance makes support a real challenge - once you figure it out and get it running it's generally good equipment. RESEARCH how to do what you want prior to buying anything GHL and if you need assistance - patience & compliments go a long way.

DIY - plenty of options, you won't get the support & reliability but it's doable on a budget. Raspberry Pi Zero W is under $15, add another $50 - $100 in accessories and some soldering / time and you can go quite a bit.

Why are you looking for an alternative and what has you searching?

These are the brands im familiar with, and i believe somebin the ARC have the Profilux.

CoralVue has two controllers that claim ip67 water intrusion rating scheduled to come out this spring. With the pandemic, who knows when that might happen. Most of their stuff is out of China.

Seneye measures temperature, pH, ammonia, par- they were supposed to add more but that has been delayed forever. They also have a leak detection device you can add. They use an app to monitor on your phone but needs a computer to actually do more than read stats. Great support via emailing them in England- even during Covid, they still answer any questions or concerns.
GHL- expensive but works well, supposed add an Ion measuring this spring. They have a mini pro version- much lower price point. Inappropriate Reefer is testing this with his reef sensei Telegram.
Coralvue wave engine for controlling pumps and wave makers not sure what else.
Testing yourself or using Reefpi to build your own system.
Tunze also has a new controller.
Reefbot for automated testing using off the shelf kits.
Some of the other monitors have failed and companies disappeared.

I initially bought an Apex el because of budget. The only thing I liked about it was the fusion app that I could pull up anytime. What made me sell it was that I could not rely on the probe readings and have been told multiple times not to “chase the numbers” which is hard when they are right there on your phone! Put in a tech support ticket but even after going through the whole calibration process with them was still getting reading that didn’t jive with my multiple other backup methods. For instance pH would swing between 7.5 to 7.88 I’ve the course of hours but when I would test with chemicals and Hanna it would be right around 8.1. The Neptune people claim theirs is the most accurate so I should believe it. Couldn’t do that. The temp probe also read differently than the other 3 thermometers I have in there. I actually bought the one you suggested a month or so ago.
I haven’t looked into any alternatives up to now because honestly I wouldn’t even know where to look. I currently have an Inkbird controller on my main heater and a Finnex on my backup heater and those probes are practically next to each other and the Finnex reads about a degree and a half higher than the others. I’m not too happy with the inkbird either, my temp at the moment is below my set point but it hasn’t turned the heater back on. My heater thermostat is much more reliable (at the moment) than these additional controllers. It’s a little frustrating

Forgot about the Reef Angel controller.
Here-

I wouldn't quit on Apex over probes. With all probes that are in the water 24x7, the numbers won't be right on, but they will be something that do a great job in identifying swings. Probes will generally be consistent in how much they are off, which still makes them reliable for detection of dangerous changes.

Heater in your tank stop working? The probe reading that is usually 0.6 degrees off will now show WAY low, at alarm threshold.

Your ATO stops working and nobody looked at your tank for 2 weeks because it is on full-auto? The salinity probe that reads 32.5 when things are actually 34 would show a much higher reading than usual if you lost a bunch of water to evaporation (and the probe is still underwater).

Your return pump stop working and you don't notice because you aren't staring at your tank all day? Either a flow sensor or (assumed Neptune) pump voltage, RPM or temperature reading will reach alarm levels (0 flow).

I can give you many, many more examples as to why chasing numbers is less important than detecting wild swings/inconsistencies. Nothing else available to us gives us the same level of turn-key tank management and monitoring at the same price point. There are other solutions and I'd bet their 24x7 probes wouldn't be that much better at the same price point.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works for you, but what I described in my examples is what people mean by not chasing numbers; probes still show stability.

Good luck in your quest:)

DJ

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't quit on Apex over probes. With all probes that are in the water 24x7, the numbers won't be right on, but they will be something that do a great job in identifying swings. Probes will generally be consistent in how much they are off, which still makes them reliable for detection of dangerous changes.

Heater in your tank stop working? The probe reading that is usually 0.6 degrees off will now show WAY low, at alarm threshold.

Your ATO stops working and nobody looked at your tank for 2 weeks because it is on full-auto? The salinity probe that reads 32.5 when things are actually 34 would show a much higher reading than usual if you lost a bunch of water to evaporation (and the probe is still underwater).

Your return pump stop working and you don't notice because you aren't staring at your tank all day? Either a flow sensor or (assumed Neptune) pump voltage, RPM or temperature reading will reach alarm levels (0 flow).

I can give you many, many more examples as to why chasing numbers is less important than detecting wild swings/inconsistencies. Nothing else available to us gives us the same level of turn-key tank management and monitoring at the same price point. There are other solutions and I'd bet their 24x7 probes wouldn't be that much better at the same price point.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works for you, but what I described in my examples is what people mean by not chasing numbers; probes still show stability.

Good luck in your quest:)

DJ

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I already sold it. If I hit the lottery I’ll buy myself a nice complete system. Just still looking but do miss the instant access to info

I would settle for a simple reef monitoring at a decent price. Sadly nothing like it exists.

Yeah, I would love the simplicity of all controlled in one place to monitor but that is a hefty price at this point. Would try to build reef pi but seems a little over my head.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I haven't got too far into my reef pi but I figure whenever I get into a problem I can post in the thread they reply super fast. It also has super detailed guides and required products.

Yeah, I would love the simplicity of all controlled in one place to monitor but that is a hefty price at this point. Would try to build reef pi but seems a little over my head.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Mine too! Maybe if I sell some of the stuff in my garage.....

1100 is not reasonable for me. For a monitor I guess I will just stick with manual testing

Whatever company comes out with a affordable controller will probably make more than the company's charging a arm and a leg lol

Back