Apex and heater

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
I have my program set as the following

Fallback ON
If Temp < 80.0 Then ON
If Temp > 80.3 Then OFF

This has actually kept my tank at a almost constant 80-80.3 swing. My question is this going to ruin my heater?

It may wear out a little faster but a lot of people keep a short range swing like this with apex.
If you look on the Apex user forum you will see many similar programs.

You will also want to set the fallback to off. If for some reason there was a connection issue between your base module and the eb8, or your apex failed the heater would remain on and cook your tank. Setting it to off will prevent that.

Also you want to add the command Set OFF. That ensures your heater is off in the normal operating mode.....that is why you have the threshold so close together. I would make it 82 then off. Your temperature will remain at a constant 80 or 80.3 unless the room temperature heats the tank to a warmer temp.

My thought process was if there was an issue the outlet would stay on and allowed the internal thermostat of the heater to regulate the temperature of the water. If it set to off and the outlet cuts off want that "freeze" my tank

mattgee87;946863 wrote: My thought process was if there was an issue the outlet would stay on and allowed the internal thermostat of the heater to regulate the temperature of the water. If it set to off and the outlet cuts off want that "freeze" my tank

Most saltwater creatures would handle a drop in temperature better than they would an increase.
I understand what you are saying about letting the heaters thermostat control the temp but...heaters are known for crapping out in the on position.

I've got mine to fall back to off and I set an email/text to alert me if the temp gets too high or too low.

Set OFF
If Temp &gt; 80.0 Then ON
If Temp &lt; 75.0 Then ON

I agree with those saying set fallback to off. Everything I read on heaters and apex suggested it be set that way. YMMV of course. But one of the reason I got the apex was so I didn't have to rely on the built-in thermo.

Back