Apex Programming for Kalk Topoff

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
I've read some posts about people being afraid of the pH spike that can occur if you top off with Kalk. I thought I would share my Apex code that helps level off any spikes that occur. You still will have an increase in pH when dosing kalk saturated topoff water but this program levels it out fairly well and can be tweaked to be virtually flat if you choose.

I have the mixing pump on for my Kalk reactor connected to an EB-8 outlet and timed to come on for 5 minutes every 6 hours to stir the Kalk with the topoff water

Kalk_Mixing (EB8 Outlet)
Fallback OFF
OSC 005:00/005:00/350:00 Then ON

The following is programming for a virtual outlet that gives the kalk 10 minutes to settle after mixing:

Kalk_Ready (Virtual Outlet)
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet Kalk_Mixing = ON Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

I have float switches that measure the level in the sump to determine when topoff is needed. Notes indicated with a <<<< do not include in your program. The TopOff outlet is connected to a Aqualifter pump.

TopOff (EB8 Outlet)
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/002:30/003:00 Then ON <<<< This controls the maximum time the topoff pump can run. It this example, it can run for 2 1/2 minutes and is off for 3 minutes. This "paces" the amount of kalk water added and controls pH spikes.
If Outlet Main_Halide1 = ON Then OFF <<<< These commands prevent topoff when the main lights are on (pH is typically high when lighting the main display)
If Outlet Main_Halide2 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Main_Halide3 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Sump_Fill = OFF Then OFF <<<< If the sump is full, do not topoff
If Outlet Sump2Full = ON Then OFF <<<< If the sump is too full, do no topoff (failsafe switch)
If Outlet Kalk_Ready = OFF Then OFF <<<< If the kalk reactor recently was mixed, do not topoff, gives the kalk time to settle to prevent topping off with kalk powder.
If pH > 8.30 Then OFF <<<< If pH is too high, don't top off

By tweaking the times in OSC command in the topoff program, you can effectively dose a small amount of kalk water every few minutes throughout the night limiting or eliminating spikes!

@Schwaggs, Thanks for your timely post. I am in the process of placing my Kalk reactor in line and was unsure of Apex programming. U...B...D...Man!!!

Thanks Jenn!

Doug, I'm happy you can use it! Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Back