Apex vs Reef Keeper vs reef angel

jdw

Reaction score
Whats everyone's opinion on these various controllers? I have heard wonderful things about Apex units, horrible things about Reef Keepers customer service and there updates, and barely anything about the reef angel. I have passed on a few reef keeper packages here lately because the reputation of DA. Am I being to hard on DA products?

Apex is top of the line and is actively improving.

Reef angel is open source and able to do absolutely anything but you have to be able to program it using C++, its very difficult unless you are computer savvy.

DA Reefkeepers seem to be a dying brand with no customer service and no improvement or updates in years now.

Clay4AU;955424 wrote: Apex is top of the line and is actively improving.

Reef angel is open source and able to do absolutely anything but you have to be able to program it using C++, its very difficult unless you are computer savvy.

DA Reefkeepers seem to be a dying brand with no customer service and no improvement or updates in years now.

That is basically identical to what I was thinking.

I've heard Good things about Reef Angel but I have no personal experience with them. I have an Apex and love it. That's the only controller I've ever had and wouldn't have a tank without one. I'm still using their older software which is what gave lots of people headaches. Their new Fusions software is supposedly super easy to use and configure everything. Neptune has an online forum that has tons of support and their customer service is also suppose to be top notch and luckily I've never had to call them.

Again I can't speak for RA, but Apex is constantly releasing new modules to make life easier. You can get real good deals on used equipment on forums too, the only new thing I've purchased is a pH and temp probe.

Digital Aquatics has been great for me. They are easy to set up CS has been good also. There is updates. I have never had any problems with them. And would recremend them to any one.

I've had the RK and I have an Apex now.

I haven't had the angel

Between the two I've had... Apex. hands down.

why? well I really don't have time for all that now

Reef Angel here and love it. I have zero programming knowledge yet found it super easy to setup and if you would have any questions the reef angel forums are extremely helpful.

I went with RA because they can do the most (sure all the others pretty well have you covered but at the end of the day reef angel is less restrictive).

+2.

I'm a tech guy and was very intrigued by the reef angel. I don't mind doing/learning the programming part. The problem is if there's any trouble when I'm out of town there's 30 guys on the forum that I can trust to login remotely to my Apex, or even drive to my house, and know that they'll be proficient at diagnosing and fixing my issues. They could even reset my Apex and have a basic program up and running quickly. I will not run a tank without an Apex. Heck, I'm even keeping an Apex Jr on my QT tank, at least until I fully stock the 60 and even then, it's nice to have a backup!

Reef Angel? Not so much.

Right now I am leaning towards an Apex. Redstang has a lot of valid points. RA is coming in second. I am tech savvy and I do not mind learning anything new. We will just
Have to see what deals come around.

Pretty much sums it up. I have both an Apex and Reef Angel running. RA is the DIY controller. Huge flexibility and potential, but not a plug and play configuration. Apex is much more of an out of the box experience. Apex is a premium price for the support and mature product. RA is much more equipment for the money. Both do what they are intended to do and have been reliable.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Ok, so I managed to pick up a RA today. So far I am finding it interesting to work with. I have not yet hooked it up to tank yet because I want to try to get plan on the placement of the components, plus its late and I am tired (due to swimming/cookouts/long drives). I think this will be a great addition to my tank.

I started with the Reefkeeper. I quickly realized it was just a expensive thermometer. Then I bought the Apex and haven't looked back since. Fusion simplified a lot of the technical issues. There is almost nothing you cant do with the apex.

I use reef angel. Setup isn't bad unless you want to do something completely off the wall. The wizard will handle 99% of all setups. Customer service is great. Their wifi attachment is easy to setup. And you can use your phone to change most settiings

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Reef Angel.:up: Can dim PWM driven LEDs. Can do everything I want to do now and things I have not thought of. For instance you can your ATO controlled by salinity, or your lights adjusted via the PAR probe. The wizard does most of the heavy lifting for coding and the rest you can ask on the forum. The people on their are great!

Reef Angel. Can dim PWM driven LEDs. Can do everything I want to do now and things I have not thought of. For instance you can have your ATO controlled by salinity via salinity probe, or your lights adjusted via the PAR probe. The wizard does most of the heavy lifting for coding and the rest you can ask for help on the forum. The people on their are great!

Yeah I am impressed with the RA setup so far. The wizard was a great help and the wifi config utility was simple too.

Still not setup on tank yet, but I am definately impressed so far :)

RA here.

Love it.

If apex is so great why are they always a step behind RA? Make changes on the go with your phone - RA did it first. Run jebao WaveMakers through a controller - yup RA did it first. I could continue on but you get the point. If your the best you don't come in 2nd to market....

Back