Apex vs Reef Keeper vs reef angel

It's kind of like apple vs android on this one.

I actually gave away my reef keeper. I didn't feel right taking money for it. I love my apex controller. My other devices play much nicer with Neptune.

Your call, but I would fine a way to look at each system first and see which one fits your needs.

We bought the RK Elitist about 6yrs ago and have added three RK Lites to different tanks. We have them set up to run lights, to turn the heatesr off at 77.(this has saved one of our tanks from cooking), feed mode and turns the fans on at 80. The elite will run an ATO, the lite will run the ATO with an added modular. This has been all we have needed, I learned early the ph probes have become too expensive, a ph test is quick and easy and a lot cheaper. I'm not good with electronic equipment so I don't care to have a lot of whistle and bells. The price on the Lite is good about $125. I will be buying another soon for the 60g we are putting up. :D Holley

Another way to look at it is, I've seen way more reef keeper for sale on the forum than apex. Just saying.

So I have had my RA up and running awhile now. I love it. It's pretty awesome, as mentioned before the wizard took care of 100% of the basic coding.

I ended up upgrading the board to the RA+ and purchasing a Bluetooth module. The only issue I have had was once I upgraded the board my old display wouldn't work w/o an additional line of code. The mod's were quick to help out and get me up and running.

I haven't hooked up the BT module up yet. Waiting to purchase a BT dongle, but from what I read the hook up will go smoothly and if it doesn't I know they are super quick to help a brother out.

One other thing I ended up doing was hooking a lever switch to my spare ATO port. Now when my sump doors open, my sump light comes on. I can't take credit for that idea, it was another RA user but it's cool none the less.

I originally (due to the enormous expenses getting started, we all live and learn.). I purchased a Reefkeeper and immediately realized the limitations of the system. When everything is said and done adding modules ect your pretty much going to spend the same or maybe slightly less on the RK vs the APEX. Im still realizing that there isn't any limitations on Apex with so many dyi threads.
Ex. I have 4 wp25's running through variable cycles throughout the day and night via dyi reefangel cables. The options are limitless with breakout boxes ect. Ive heard great things about reefangel as well.

Love my apex and have quickly learned in this hobby that it's better to buy the better equipment first so you don't have to buy it twice (or 1.5x). I'm sure guys can accomplish the same things with the other controllers but ease of use is awesome with apex. Can handle the basics easily but you can also get very advanced with it as you learn more.

tonymission;963555 wrote: Love my apex and have quickly learned in this hobby that it's better to buy the better equipment first so you don't have to buy it twice (or 1.5x). I'm sure guys can accomplish the same things with the other controllers but ease of use is awesome with apex. Can handle the basics easily but you can also get very advanced with it as you learn more.

Buy once, cry once. Important lesson. Thankfully I haven't made many expensive mistakes yet primarily because I've received great advice. The Apex was probably the best advice I got for my sanity. But even then I bought an Apex Jr first. I've since upgraded to the full Apex. I did consider the RA but already "knowing" the Apex and not having a reason to jump ship it just didn't make sense to switch over.

If you can wait till October 2014 meeting, you can ask all the questions you want about Apex. Or maybe even win one, ;)

Back