Aqua 40 UV leak- help

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I bought a used Aqua 40 and was leak testing it and I can't get it to stop leaking out of the wiper area. I've applied fresh Teflon tape and tightened everything possible.
Any suggestions?

I also took it apart (per manufacture instruction) cleaned it and put back together making sure nothing was cross threaded...

Camellia,
Sounds like you have done all you can. You may need to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement seal.

But, if you check the manufacturer's website or call/email them, you may see that they do not recommend wiper UVs for marine aquariums. Reason is that the main buildup on the quartz sleeve is calcareous, and a wiper is useless for that.

Your best option, if possible, may be to completely remove the wiper and seal up the UV housing with epoxy. I am not familiar with your brand, so do not know if this is possible or not.

Sounds good, on their website it basically says if leak persists call us...!
I didn't know that about wipers :( I will ask about sealing it too.
Thanks

Camellia;985438 wrote: Sounds good, on their website it basically says if leak persists call us...!
I didn't know that about wipers :( I will ask about sealing it too.
Thanks
I remember reading about no wipers on marine tank UVs on a manufacturer website, but cannot remember which one. Aqua UV may tell you differently.

Wipers are worthless in sw tanks. Like Dave said, call Aqua UV and see if they'll help. If not, plan on getting an emperor aquatics UV. They're the best and will actually do what they claim to do.

Skriz;985478 wrote: Wipers are worthless in sw tanks. Like Dave said, call Aqua UV and see if they'll help. If not, plan on getting an emperor aquatics UV. They're the best and will actually do what they claim to do.

Omg!
You say Emperor do you? Everyone else told me Aqua, that's why I bought it!
Dang

Camellia;985490 wrote: Omg!
You say Emperor do you? Everyone else told me Aqua, that's why I bought it!
Dang

Aqua sucks. Nothing BUT failures and no published data/specs.

But since you have it already, get it going and think about an Emperor, hehehe! I have an Emperor 150 watt HO Smart UV.

Skriz;985508 wrote: Aqua sucks. Nothing BUT failures and no published data/specs.

Dang it!
Who are those losers that said Aqua!!!:mad2:
I just bought it!
I'm done posting threads for advice! For now on I'm just going to ask you or Dave! :)

You two better get your PM box emptied, hehe

Acroholic;985525 wrote: But since you have it already, get it going and think about an Emperor, hehehe! I have an Emperor 150 watt HO Smart UV.

Do you agree Emperor is best?

Hmmmm....I'm not a contributor to the thread you mention, but I came to the same conclusion you did, that it was a good product and purchased a used one as well. Guess it's like anything else in life..."your experience may vary". Anyway, check all of the on-line reviews and you'll see Aqua is generally highly regarded. Also, they do publish their specs, and even post a comparison with Emperor on their website. So, don't fret too much.

In any event, sorry to hear that yours is giving you problems. Not all products are perfect, so it's how well the company supports them that makes the difference. I'd be interested to hear your experience with their customer service in the event I ever have problems with mine.

Personally, I don't think Aqua UV is a terrible brand. Lots of folks use them and like them. I just don't have any experience with them. I bought Emperor because everyone around here loves it so much.

I have a 25w aqua on my 90g and I guess it's ok. I took it offline and noticed some nuisance algae spring up after a week. Re-plumbed it to fit in my stand and it went away. Other than that I'm not sure it really does a whole lot and who knows if that's even the reason for the NA.

Newbie20;985793 wrote: Hmmmm....I'm not a contributor to the thread you mention, but I came to the same conclusion you did, that it was a good product and purchased a used one as well. Guess it's like anything else in life..."your experience may vary". Anyway, check all of the on-line reviews and you'll see Aqua is generally highly regarded. Also, they do publish their specs, and even post a comparison with Emperor on their website. So, don't fret too much.

In any event, sorry to hear that yours is giving you problems. Not all products are perfect, so it's how well the company supports them that makes the difference. I'd be interested to hear your experience with their customer service in the event I ever have problems with mine.

Can you post a link to that? I've never seen specs listed, nor a comparison and a quick look through the site didn't yield anything either..I missed something somewhere!

I don't know of a single professional application where Aqua is used. I see them all the time in hobbyist tanks, and at that price-point and small size, I'd expect that. Heck, I had a ton of these at one point. But after a 100% failure rate, you have to reevaluate and move on. Ended up stocking a 4 yd dumpster with them.

Without knowing the specs, the best you'll get would be some algae control.

Acroholic;985804 wrote: Personally, I don't think Aqua UV is a terrible brand. Lots of folks use them and like them. I just don't have any experience with them. I bought Emperor because everyone around here loves it so much.

Lot's of people use a like the eco-aqualizer too! :roll:

tonymission;985807 wrote: I have a 25w aqua on my 90g and I guess it's ok. I took it offline and noticed some nuisance algae spring up after a week. Re-plumbed it to fit in my stand and it went away. Other than that I'm not sure it really does a whole lot and who knows if that's even the reason for the NA.

Knowing what I know about UVs, the only thing it can do is some algae control. There's no way it can be strong enough for protozoan control.

Hey, but if it works for you, have at it. That's all that matters.

Skriz;985810 wrote: Knowing what I know about UVs, the only thing it can do is some algae control. There's no way it can be strong enough for protozoan control.

Hey, but if it works for you, have at it. That's all that matters.

Yeah, I know it sounds weird but I'm definitely much more into corals than fish. Like every other noob at the time, I bought this to "get rid of ich" as some LFS told me, but then realized it was actually pretty decent at algae control. I can't get give anyone recommendations that this does anything more than that so does it work for me ?? I guess... haha

Skriz;985810 wrote: Lot's of people use a like the eco-aqualizer too! :roll:

And lots of folks believe in the Loch Ness Monster, but that has nothing to do with UV Sterilizers either.

If the UV gives the proper exposure levels of UV light at the proper dwell time or flow rate for whatever organism you are trying to kill, that is the important aspect of it, regardless of the brand.

Sorry, I just don't buy the Emperor is the best, and the rest are junk argument. I would pick Emperor first every time, but they don't make the only UV that works, IMO. And since you can't prove your statement any more than I can, the point is moot and opinion only.

For anyone that has not read it, here is Mojo's sticky from the Reef Forum on properly sizing a UV Sterilizer. His example and what he used was Aqua UV. Anyone interested in the Aqua UV vs Emperor debate look here. Raj and Chris (Mojo) hashed it out in this thread a few years ago. I have no wish to reinvent the wheel by arguing about it again.

showthread.php

Wouldnt the only differences be build quality or are there actual differences with the quality of the light and its effectiveness? Figured a bulb is a bulb, but then again I'm super picky about my tank lighting so that doesnt add up.

Acroholic;985822 wrote: And lots of folks believe in the Loch Ness Monster, but that has nothing to do with UV Sterilizers either.

If the UV gives the proper exposure levels of UV light at the proper dwell time or flow rate for whatever organism you are trying to kill, that is the important aspect of it, regardless of the brand.

Sorry, I just don't buy the Emperor is the best, and the rest are junk argument. I would pick Emperor first every time, but they don't make the only UV that works, IMO. And since you can't prove your statement any more than I can, the point is moot and opinion only.

For anyone that has not read it, here is Mojo's sticky from the Reef Forum on properly sizing a UV Sterilizer. His example and what he used was Aqua UV. Anyone interested in the Aqua UV vs Emperor debate look here. Raj and Chris (Mojo) hashed it out in this thread a few years ago. I have no wish to reinvent the wheel by arguing about it again.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36805">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36805</a>[/QUOTE]

Oh, not only can I prove my point, I do so on a daily basis!

I need to go back through mojo's thread and see what was said there...I don't remember it at all.

[QUOTE=][B]tonymission;985825 wrote:[/B] Wouldnt the only differences be build quality or are there actual differences with the quality of the light and its effectiveness? Figured a bulb is a bulb, but then again I'm super picky about my tank lighting so that doesnt add up.[/QUOTE]

Just as with reef lighting, there are huge differences in the uv lamp itself. You also have different types: t5, t6, halide; low pressure, medium pressure, high pressure, amalgam... knowing exactly what is being used and the power it consumes will tell you a LOT.

Newbie20;985793 wrote: Hmmmm....I'm not a contributor to the thread you mention, but I came to the same conclusion you did, that it was a good product and purchased a used one as well. Guess it's like anything else in life..."your experience may vary". Anyway, check all of the on-line reviews and you'll see Aqua is generally highly regarded. Also, they do publish their specs, and even post a comparison with Emperor on their website. So, don't fret too much.

Well Buddy their customer service is great!
I called the CS number that was easy to find on their website.
Made 1 selection for CS rep
Got a real person who answered my questions and resolved the current leak.
It's running now and not leaking.
A new washer and nut are being shipped to me.
No complaints at all!
Life is good :)

Now if I could just get my COMCAST issues resolved and the iPhone 6 ordered I'd be all set.

Back