Aquaculture Amongst Us

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
I am an avid reader of CORAL magazine. Now, granted, I don't understand a lot of the scientific reads (and boy it can get a tad heavy), but I read through anyway and am gradually gaining understanding.

Each issue there is unfailingly an article about aquaculture: big companies doing big things on a scale that most of us will never get a chance to be a part of

BUT

Over the last 8-9 years that I've been in the hobby I have seen a HUGE surge in local aquaculture (and I imagine there is an even greater contrast if you go back another 10 or 20 years).

I do realize that this type of behavior isn't great for the LFS, and it has been discussed at length here:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60353">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60353</a>

But, isn't it reassuring that aquaculture is happening on such a local and individual level? I mean, the other day I TRADED for 7-8 different corals... I didn't have to import mine from another hemisphere or even pay $ at all.

To me its great to see local aquaculture in action. I'm happy for the hobby, and for the world's reefs. It may not have made a noticeable global impact yet (and I'm aware of those whose income depends on corral collection), but I do believe it is positive as a whole.

Thoughts?

B

SnowManSnow;916890 wrote: I am an avid reader of CORAL magazine. Now, granted, I don't understand a lot of the scientific reads (and boy it can get a tad heavy), but I read through anyway and am gradually gaining understanding.

Each issue there is unfailingly an article about aquaculture: big companies doing big things on a scale that most of us will never get a chance to be a part of

BUT

Over the last 8-9 years that I've been in the hobby I have seen a HUGE surge in local aquaculture (and I imagine there is an even greater contrast if you go back another 10 or 20 years).

I do realize that this type of behavior isn't great for the LFS, and it has been discussed at length here:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60353">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60353</a>

But, isn't it reassuring that aquaculture is happening on such a local and individual level? I mean, the other day I TRADED for 7-8 different corals... I didn't have to import mine from another hemisphere or even pay $ at all.

To me its great to see local aquaculture in action. I'm happy for the hobby, and for the world's reefs. It may not have made a noticeable global impact yet (and I'm aware of those whose income depends on corral collection), but I do believe it is positive as a whole.

Thoughts?

B[/QUOTE]

If someone in the pacific was smart they'd start their own aquaculture setup right there. It could probably be done on a larger scale than we can here and at costs low enough to be more than competitive. I do think aquaculture is a good thing and will become necessary as more regulations impact what can be collected and where. As the costs associated with keeping saltwater aquariums continue to drop more people will get in. Sustainability will become an important part of our hobby.

RedStang;916957 wrote: If someone in the pacific was smart they'd start their own aquaculture setup right there. It could probably be done on a larger scale than we can here and at costs low enough to be more than competitive. I do think aquaculture is a good thing and will become necessary as more regulations impact what can be collected and where. As the costs associated with keeping saltwater aquariums continue to drop more people will get in. Sustainability will become an important part of our hobby.

The name you're looking for is Walt Smith. There are many others, but he's the most recognizable to most.

Skriz;916963 wrote: The name you're looking for is Walt Smith. There are many others, but he's the most recognizable to most.

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking. Kind of cool to read up on it. Thanks!

I think LFS has more to worry about than hobbyist growing out corals. Big e-trailers are the real threat to the LFS. My closest LFS hasn't given me any reason to resort to buying online though.

A lot of the stuff in the LFS is aquacultured, too.

you know what would be cool? if we started a program to get our excess corals back into the oceans they came from. i know there are plenty of us that have lots of fast growing coral and it would be nice to use them to help rebuild reefs that have been destroyed. and how cool would it be to know that <span style="color: black">your </span>coral is out there somewhere helping to restore the balance of nature.

Back