Aquascaping

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
I know why its not recommended, But,How many of you place rock against back wall. Its a BB tank, I can have very high flow.Down sizing to a 120.Need all the space i can get.

I don't SE a huge problem with it if you can get some flow back there.

I don't hesitate to put rock along the back, but it gas to be strategic for me. In other words, I don't want to simply put rock there for the sake of putting rock there. I like for it to gave a function of some sort.

I have seen a lot of (what I would call successful) tanks with rock stacked against the back glass. What are you planning on doing to get sufficient flow back there?

Thanks guys, Grant, good question. Since i don't have sand, It's going to be mostly sps.I guess was going to aim some high flow towards that section. I have not made up my mind on what powerheads to use.For the first time, the wife tells me to get the best.At this time, i don't know witch one that is.I don't mind a little noise. May need some direction.

A closed loop pulling water from be hind the rocks may work for you. I don't know how much maintenance is required for the inlet screen, but a strategically place rock ( one that can be removed easily) might solve this issue.

On a 120, I'm a fan of the VorTechs. You can "do a lot" with them with surges and other flow variations. They are magnet-driven and the power is all outside of the tank (no heat or electric lines in the water). On the down side, you can't aim them in any and all directions. However, a couple of VorTechs put out a lot of flow, so you really wouldn't NEED to pinpoint aim them. My preference is to set one on each end, or if you scape it in a way with both on the back wall toward either end, some neat things can happen (especially with a bowfront or half-circle tank, but that's irrelevant).

They are pricey. No doubt. Their customer service is the absolute best I've seen in the industry. They have never failed to demonstrate great service when I call in.

Outside of VorTechs, call me old school, but I like the Koralias a lot. They've always performed well for me, and the price is much lower. I like their "bang for the buck."

Hope this helps!

Expanding on Brick Fish House's comments, another option would be the Jebao pumps. They are not expensive, have tremendous flow and flexibility and can be aimed. The electric is internal but they are DC which reduces the heat lose into the tank.

Since you are going bare bottom, I would recomend that you start with a bit of a low salt content. Get your pumps running with the rock how you like it. Then ad a few pinches of salt and watch where the wind blows it, adjust and repeat. I think you will be surprised how much flow you get behind the rock.

Like others I've seen many tanks with the rock stacked along the back. Don't make it too hard on yourself. Weekly or bi-weekly just take a powerful powerhead like one of the jebao's and manually "sweep" the back wall with it blowing out all the detritus. Doesn't have to be a permanent solution.

But, an MP40 on each end with bare bottom you may not have any flow issues :).

If you can get away with it I would avoid stacking it against the back glass. JMO. It will cause a flow issue

Back