ARC PAR Meter?

bwilliby

Supporting
Reaction score
I am getting new lights delivered this weekend and I would like to measure the PAR both on my current set up and the new set up. I thought comparing that would help with the acclimation process, and I am just really curious because I have never measured PAR in my tank.

I found a couple of websites where I can rent one for $20-$25 per week. But I thought I would check here first to see if any members, or the club itself, has one to rent/borrow. Thanks!

Jedda is a lumen meter. Not the same as par from what I am told.

Are you measuring LED's? They don't test well with PAR meters. Wavelengths, etc.

PFCDeitz;1012721 wrote: Just involves some math and you can get the par
Well I was looking for PAR since that is usually what you see thrown around in the aquarium world. But I guess if i can calculate it, the end result is the same?

Crew;1012722 wrote: Are you measuring LED's? They don't test well with PAR meters. Wavelengths, etc.
Yes, mainly LEDs. I have a dual T5 fixture that I might try to leave in the canopy to help prevent some of the shadowing I read about with LEDs. So I was going to measure with and without the T5. But the new lights that are coming in this weekend are the 165w LEDs. So how do you measure those if they don't test well with PAR meters?

I would be extremely careful when trying to measure PAR on LED's. I made the HUGE mistaking of having my PAR readings done on my AI Vega's and ended up frying my corals. I was reading somewhere around 50 PAR on the sand bed with my lights at 60%. Against my better judgement, I listen to the guy measuring my PAR and turned the lights to 100% just to find it only went up a few PAR. I left it at 100% and a few weeks later I bleached all my corals. The best way I found to adjust LED's to my corals needs was to turn it down to a lower setting and increasing the intensity slowly every other week. Do this until you start to see good color and growth and then stop!

I do have a Lux meter and while it's not the same as PAR....it will get you there if you don't mind doing a little math. If you really want to know the number...this will get you there. If you're just trying to satisfy your corals....do it the way Hoang said above. That's how I calibrated my AI Sols when I installed them.

As for the ARC having one to rent....they do not. I've been told that the two they had were given away as door prizes a couple of years ago.

Thanks guys! I was somewhat curious as to what the PAR numbers would be, but based on what Hoang and Crawford said, it doesn't sound like that number would mean much when it comes to LEDs. The main goal is to make sure the corals are happy, so I will take Hoang's and Jeff's advice and just start low and work up slowly. Thanks again!

You just have to get a par meter that's been calibrated for led.

Pure Reef has one they rent. I've got a seneye, but I think somebody has it right now.

Back