Arrrgh Please don't mind the rant! And devastating pic

Pm me is you want info so that we keep the thread on topic, or I could start another thread...Sound good?

Barbara;265628 wrote: I thought you handled it well. You were clearly upset, and that is totally understandable. You expressed that you were frustrated with the negative comments, but you didn't say anything ugly. I thought you handled yourself quite well.

If you're in the "top making" business, I'd love for you to make me a couple tops too. I'd be willing to buy the materials and pay a little extra for the labor.:)

Thanks.:)

Anyone wanting tops made for your tanks let me know. Just PM me. The materials are SUPER cheap. I think my total was just over $20 and I had to buy the spline tool.

dmahoney82;265461 wrote: Just found my diamond goby on the carpet after only 2 days. Sucks
yea gobys dont realy last that long if you have a carpet in the tank i went through 3.

Hmm, It has been almost two months. Maybe I won't get another goby. Anyone know of other purple fish that are not basslets?

I also rememberd another reason I was so mad about it. I bought this fish with ich, and cured it in quarintine. So I kinda had an attachment since I made it healthy and had no problems afterwords...

Not to bring up a bad note, but both George and Jeremy are very knowledgeable and you should def take note (if you didnt before) that carpet nems definatly are fish eaters. They can also eat snails, hermits, and almost anything they can grab. THat is simply what they are built for. They are beautiful, but must be kept with appropriate fish that can can/will avoid or resist the sting.

But either way, I am sorry to hear about your firefish. They are beautiful fish. And the top is very nice.

Yeah I can see snails and crabs being stupid enough to get into the nem, but not a fish. No biggie, I am over it, and will just get some other type of fish that is not dumb and agile enough to keep away from the nem. If it were up wo me I would just have a nem only tank, but the woman needs fish...

I dont know how much truth there is to it, but I read somewhere that night lights/moonlights help avoid fish from wandering into a nem at night. Dunno how reliable that is though.

I have moonlights. The firefish went into the nem after my actinics were on...

Sorry about your losses.

Carpets are notorious for eating fish. Fish will simply run into them; and it doesn't take much. If they slightly touch it, they're toast. Your best bet is to have fish that aren't bottom dwelers, even though that's not fool proof.

Yeah that nem is the stickiest I have ever touched. I can easily see a small fish not being able to get out.

The way you need to think about it, is like this:

How many times have you seen your fish swimming, and touch something- whether it be a rock, a coral, a powerhead, the glass, whatever? Carpets rely on this, and have powerful nematocysts (thats the stickiness). Its not that the fish arent "smart" enough to avoid the anemone, its that the anemone is suited to capture prey. Adding fish to a smaller tank with a carpet is asking for more fish to be consumed. Thats nature, and theres nothing wrong with it, just dont be upset when it happens.

In contrast to Derek's suggestion, getting a pair of clowns to host may be an even better solution. Some clowns wont let ANYTHING get near their anemone. And a charging clownfish is a lot better disuasion to stay away from the anemone. It wont always work, and bear in mind, some clowns are even eaten by carpets. Just an option.

I have two clowns in the tank already, and one is hosting a GBTA and the other hosts my yellow polyps for some reason. I have a sexy shrimp that is hosting the carpet...not much aof a deterance.

rostato;265746 wrote: I have two clowns in the tank already, and one is hosting a GBTA and the other hosts my yellow polyps for some reason. I have a sexy shrimp that is hosting the carpet...not much aof a deterance.

what type of clowns?

Back