ASM G1 Skimmer mesh mod - WOW!!!

parsonsaj

Market
Reaction score
If anyone else has an ASM G series skimmer, and has NOT done the mesh mod, what the heck are you waiting for?

I was so impressed with this skimmer when I first replaced my Super Skimmer that I thought I would never need anything better. Read a lot of stuff about the famous "mesh mod", so I ordered some Enkamat and zip ties a while back from a guy on Ebay.

I was in pump cleaning mode today for the chiller, so I thought why not go ahead and get this mesh mod out of the way. Took about 30 minutes total to modify the needle wheel that came with the stock skimmer and replace it with a couple layers of Enkamat.

I had to reduce the height of the standpipe that regulates foam production almost to its lowest point (about 2" lower than I ran it with the regular needle wheel impeller). I am seeing thick, nasty foam the likes of which I have never seen before in this skimmer.

Time will tell the quality of skimmate that gets produced, and how long the pump will run with this modification in place. For the cost of the Enkamat (about $6 on Ebay), this was the best mod I have ever done, bar none.

I think the square of enkamat I got would be enough to do several more needlewheels of the size of the one in my G1. I only was able to do two layers... I think in general it is best to shoot for at least 3.

I need to do this, just got my G1 up and running. Any links to articles and ebay links to buy the enkamat?

Matt

Corigan;305032 wrote: I need to do this, just got my G1 up and running. Any links to articles and ebay links to buy the enkamat?

Matt

I think I actually got mine from this guy:

http://www.meshmod.net/">http://www.meshmod.net/</a>

Though there are probably tons of people selling the PF4 enkamat on Ebay also.

If you google ASM G1 mesh mod, you will find tons of references to how to do it.

Cool thanks, just ordered it. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Matt

parsonsaj;304905 wrote: If anyone else has an ASM G series skimmer, and has NOT done the mesh mod, what the heck are you waiting for?

My thought exactly. But in all fairness it is a little tricky to get the mod just right

Got the meshmod in yesterday. Installed it early this morning. It is doing great. There are lots of more fine bubbles in the skimmer and it is pulling quite a bit more on a lower setting than it normally was. Thumbs up on the mod. :up:

Matt

Just to add on I still have plenty to do atleast one more skimmer with 3 layers. I cut the mat into quarters and used 3 of the quarters. This left one whole mat untouched and a quarter left from the first mat. This was on a sedra 3500 for referrence to impeller size.

Matt

Yeah, you have to chop the needles off. I was thinking, if I screw this up, it's $35 down the drain or so to get a new impeller. It works great though, well worth it.

Matt

ares;307168 wrote: euroreef charges 75$ freakin ripoff *******s! and there are 2 of them...

ok, no guts, no glory.
Ouch! You'll do fine. I had a hard time getting the tines off though. They really are tough as hell, I kept worrying about breaking the impeller as I was butchering to get them off with needle nose plyers. I do have to say these impellers (atleast the sedra 3500 ones) are made tough from my experience at banging on em.

Matt

I bought a spare impeller before I did the mod just in case it didn't work out... but my G1 came with this crappy Sunday pump instead of the normal Sedra, so it was a real challenge finding the parts for it.

The tines on this one were real soft... I was able to clip them off with kitchen scissors.

Back