ATI ICP Results

Ah! Another good point! Yes, please ask. I am curious and will keep an eye on this thread.

If he did use up the entire box, it would be ~40% if all the above was correct. And if he did not use the entire batch, let’s see if we could get a sample of that mixed water. I can store it, and once i’ve tested plenty of ICP And IC, I can run some analyses on it.

He's in NC but I'll see if I can get either the water or the salt for you to analyze.

As for the salt it was Fritz red box... I know a lot of folks that use Fritz, although not many with the red box but he's been using it for awhile. It's considered a very high quality salt .

Fritz is a pretty big player which makes biological & chemical products for several industries. I’d be surprised if bad salt got by their QA.

Fritz is a pretty big player which makes biological & chemical products for several industries. I’d be surprised if bad salt got by their QA.
Yah, I'm surprised as well. One of the things I'm super lax about is testing my newly made up water other than salinity. This has put the fear in me though to make sure I at least do a baseline check. Every salt company has had bad batches in the past, so it can happen to us all.

I'm just wondering as an experience reefer myself why would you not test a new batch of salt mix to make sure the salinity is correct and second why would you do a 40% water change? That just seems like just a huge swing in parameters. Isn't that why people doing more daily auto water changes to prevent swings?

I wonder if your friend only did a 10% would it have hurt him as much.

For me, I use to do bi-weekly water changes of 20%, which I thought was too much due to swing. So, I changed it to weekly at 10%. Things seem to work out much better and parameters are more stable since each fresh batch seem to have varying alkalinity and calcium at 1.026 salinity. That way if any swing, it's small.

@civics14 Just to clarify, I made the assumption that it was a 40% change. This because we know 2 things; 1) He uses a full box at a time (200 gallons), and 2) it’s a 500 gallon system.

However, he could be storing some of the water. This could make it less than 40%. Hopefully so, because then I could get a sample to test at Tech.

But I agree. Even when doing 2000+ gallon water changes at the old shop, I always tested salinity. And I always did it twice, because it takes about 1-3 seconds each time. It’s just too easy and fast to skip such an important verification.

@civics14 Just to clarify, I made the assumption that it was a 40% change. This because we know 2 things; 1) He uses a full box at a time (200 gallons), and 2) it’s a 500 gallon system.

However, he could be storing some of the water. This could make it less than 40%. Hopefully so, because then I could get a sample to test at Tech.

But I agree. Even when doing 2000+ gallon water changes at the old shop, I always tested salinity. And I always did it twice, because it takes about 1-3 seconds each time. It’s just too easy and fast to skip such an important verification.
Oh ok. I was a bit confused on why someone would do a 40% water change. Only time I see people do that much if they accidentally over dose.

He's in NC but I'll see if I can get either the water or the salt for you to analyze.

As for the salt it was Fritz red box... I know a lot of folks that use Fritz, although not many with the red box but he's been using it for awhile. It's considered a very high quality salt .
So, I have read online about Fritz having some bad batches of salt in the last year- the blue box. But the parameters in that test make me either doubt the test results or the salt was switched??? I can’t imagine that Fritz’ quality control dropped the ball so badly, but anything is possible. I also don’t think he was doing a 40% water change. With a reading like that, it would not take very much to do major damage to a system. I would think a 10%-20% water change with those parameters would be enough to wreak havoc and a crash.

I have been using live aquaria salt that i believe is rebranded fritz. the last 4 boxes have been contaminated with bits of plastic. I sent out a an ICP test and didn't see anything to out of line. I am switching salt anyhow

Back