Atlanta algae club

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
AAC I'm going to start an algae club . We can grow and trade algae , have algae meetings , talk about and share our passion for our furry , slimy , green , red, brown , blue/green friends we all work so hard to grow .

I've been growing mine for months , it's really looking great . Full , extended , really sets off the tank . Added new lights to really help it take off . I also try to keep my phosphate levels all over the place for no reason really . Thank God it's a small tank too , that way it really spreads fast. This particular algae even loves high flow .

Things I've done to ensure my algae is the best looking around it to use almost an 8oz bottle of vibrant . It really liked that . I've added a pair of emerald crabs . They are like farmers with a sustainable crop. They just pick a little here and there . Oh and a court jester goby . He's a massive 1.5" algae eating machine... So he keeps it trimmed nice and even .

If anyone else is interested we are looking for members :rolleyes:IMG_20200120_191836.jpgIMG_20200120_191826.jpg

Well if you don't mind I would like to be considered for membership, I can even donate some algae if needed for dues!!! Im only about 4 months old but recently enjoy diatoms, looks like gha, high nitrates, I started off with pineapple sponges but they didn't like us so much! Im using vibrant, I'll be doing a second large water change this week, and have a new icecap ats on order. I shall win, no surrender no defeat!!!

20200120_205719.jpg20200119_222337.jpg20200119_222319.jpg

I was a very successful keeper of RTA, Red Turf Algae, Gelidium, Gelidiopsis... whatever you want to call it. You too can keep this colorful matting turf algae. It will cover any rock surface that gets light. It'll do a great job at keeping that dreaded coraline algae off your rockscape and thrive in most any type water conditions, low nutrient or high nutrient. It's impervious to Vibrant and Fluconazole too. Urchins, snails and crabs of all types will do a great job of cleaning detritus off of it so it will continue to get all the light it needs to thrive.
If anyone want some I still have rock that has been out of water for about three months. I'm have no doubt it will come back to life and reproduce nicely in your systems too!

I was about to request my membership while I had my Nuvo20, that tank did so well with zoas and lps then I started to get successful growth of algae patches here and there, I’d normally remove them manually then it will survive in his own, that’s what I call a great Phoenix bird and I think I can be an honorary member. I usually did my WC and kept fluidizing Carbon and added GFO to keep my HA patches happy and thriving, I also believe that I had an unusual species of HA that didn’t require high amounts of light because it was waving and growing completely healthy under crevices and hide perfectly in between the rocks, I’m sorry I couldn’t save it to share with you guys and make our algae varieties and resources more extended and of course avoid the higher prices on it to hit the sky.

Found this thread while looking for an algae treatment update. I'm definitely in the AAC. I believe that I may in fact be breeding new strains of otherwise common algaes. If it is green, it's everywhere including INSIDE my reactor of Rowaphos.

IMG_7222.JPGIMG_7221.JPGIMG_7220.JPG

Welcome all new members ! I am glad so many have shown interest . I am setting up a 75 gallon today , can't wait to get this this baby up and running and get some algae in it soon.

My name is Sean and I have a green hair algae problem [breaks down sobbing]

It’s been 2 weeks since my last water change and I just keep looking forward to the next time I get to do one. I’m planning on Doing some Vibrant shooters this weekend and then hopefully I will start to take control of my problem.

Looks like I may be joining this club. My dark brown dots on the rocks have turned to fuzz. Kole tang, rabbitfish, and lawnmower blenny aren't touching it. Hermits may be controlling in other areas.

Need to run to a LFS and get some more snails or crabs or something that will actually eat this stuff.

I to am a algehollic. I did pick up a tomini tang and just wow he hasn't quit eating.

I was thinking about picking up a small yellow tang or something to see if I can knock it out (then rehome after it gets too big)... but not sure how any new ones will get along with my bullies.

Not to mention, they're all lazy, and what's to stop the new one from being another lazy?

Back