Atlanta's Largest Single Bubble Algea!!

washowi

Market
Reaction score
When this thing blows....God help me!

Other than take the rock work down, any ideas? It's been in there over a year. I am thinking let sleeping dogs lie....and hope it never blows. No joke, this thing is over 3" across!!

Fish117-1.jpg
alt="" />

Well, I'm far from an expert, but if you do decide to take it out, one way to keep it from exploding everywhere my be to take a sandwich baggie and try to wrap in inside and close it around the bottom of the bubble...JMO.

This thing is 28" deep in the water....At the complete base of all rock work...

It's big and I am not sure about grabbing it and wiggling it free as for tweezers...I would need a pair of pliers of vise grips..This thing is not small.

I will try to free it somehow...if it spurts on me. am I living a life of bubble algae?

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">You know - if you DIDN'T KNOW it was a pest - it is kind of cool looking. :shades: </span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;"></span></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkgreen;">Margi</span></span></span>

What about using a siphon hose getting it starting drawing out water and place the siphon hose over the bubble algae and using the edges of the hose to gently release the bubble from the rock. That way, if the bubble breaks you have a fast suction of water to contain it and dispose of it.

Tanner86;53360 wrote: What about using a siphon hose getting it starting drawing out water and place the siphon hose over the bubble algae and using the edges of the hose to gently release the bubble from the rock. That way, if the bubble breaks you have a fast suction of water to contain it and dispose of it.

This is somewhat the technique that I used long ago when I had bubble algae.

I used a razor, tweesers or a Kent scraper to try to scrape it off the rock and remove it. And if one broke/punctured, then I was ready with the siphon hose to remove it and all of its spores.

Good Luck Todd!

Bob

P.S. When you get ready to remove it, you should advertise the event here. I bet that you could charge admission or at the very least take bets! :D

Again, Good Luck!

how about using a hypodermic syringe to suck out all the spores first? kind of like draining a large blister.

Tanner86;53360 wrote: What about using a siphon hose getting it starting drawing out water and place the siphon hose over the bubble algae and using the edges of the hose to gently release the bubble from the rock. That way, if the bubble breaks you have a fast suction of water to contain it and dispose of it.

Don't forget to stop all water flow in the tank so the spore don't spread around.

first turn off all powerheads in the tank, then start a siphon and put the tube around it while you're trying to work it off. that way if it does break the spores will be sucked out into your bucket.

This is one where I might screw up the rock work, pull it out and nuke it outside of the tank. Kinda sucks, but better than having a thousand of those suckers in the tank.

I got $5 on "it breaks" and another $5 on "you can't get all the spores".. 3" across takes a BIG siphon tube to insure you got it all!

I have read all the responses so far, and short of taking that rock out and removing the bubble algae outside the tank like Cameron suggested, siphoning is probably the way to go. Kill the water movement and make the release gentle and quick, if at all possible. Good Luck!

Xyzpdq0121;53543 wrote: I got $5 on "it breaks" and another $5 on "you can't get all the spores".. 3" across takes a BIG siphon tube to insure you got it all!
I agree that a siphon is dangerous and probably won't work. If you do decide to go that way, load up an ozone or UV to help curb anything you might miss.

Back