ATO - could this work?

brynbyers

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice and to see if anyone has tried this before. I'm currently using a gravity fed top off system under my tank with a float valve. Of course this limits the size of my reservior as it has to be able to valve, so I would like to upgrade its size to a 10gal or possibly a 20gal tank, while still utilizing the float valve already installed.
What I am thinking is to use a small water pump to recirculate water in the reservior, but to have a tee in the line going to the existing float valve in the sump. Thus when the float valve drops, the pump would push water in both directions of the tee, causing some water going to the sump until the float valve stops the flow, and then the pump goes back to only circulating water the reservior.

Would this work?

Theory is sound. Sounds like a winner. That would be good too if you dose through the ATO water.

Depending on the size of the pump, sure.
But why have the pump on 24/7 just pushing RODI around?

LilRobb;477888 wrote: Depending on the size of the pump, sure.
But why have the pump on 24/7 just pushing RODI around?

I typcially dose with my top off, so to keep in suspension...

When you say dose I an going to assume Kalkwasser. It sounds like it would work but I would put the pump on a digital timer and have it only come on a few times a day.

grouper therapy;477897 wrote: I would put the pump on a digital timer and have it only come on a few times a day.

Any suggestions on where to pick these up? I found some at Target during the Christmas holiday, but I haven't checked back.

brynbyers;477906 wrote: Any suggestions on where to pick these up? I found some at Target during the Christmas holiday, but I haven't checked back.

HD has them . You may want to think about the pump idea . I would suggest two pumps one to stir the kalk once a day and the other to dose maybe three times a day. Timers on both of course. How much do you evaporate a day on what size system?

grouper therapy;477917 wrote: HD has them . You may want to think about the pump idea . I would suggest two pumps one to stir the kalk once a day and the other to dose maybe three times a day. Timers on both of course. How much do you evaporate a day on what size system?
The main tank is 225 gallons. I'm about to put 3x250w MH over an open top so I'm preparing for the worst...

I would use a float switch in the sump and have it turn the pump on/off. I did this when I had my large reef tank. I also plummed my top off resivior to my RODI and used a float valve there to control water level. Worked well for me. only had to occasionally clean the float switch of residue so it wouldnt stick. Pretty much auto-pilot otherwise.

Back