Attack of Green Algae!

curator

Market
Reaction score
Upon returning from work over the last few days, the glass on my Biocube is covered with green algae. I remove it and it's back the next day. I am running the lights for about 10 hours per day. Also, what are the MOST efficient algae eaters?

Thanks,

John

what kind of water are you using. also go to a store and get a full test. calcium, mag, alk, ph, amonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphates.

I would run your lights 8 hours a day and just stock up on hermit crabs (u can never have to many) and get a lawn mower blennie and u will be good, i have to clean my glass every day that is normal but if it is covering your rocks and sand then u really have a problem....probably either tap water or lack of hermit crabs...

Chris

Chris,

Do you happen to know which hermits eat coraline algae? Also, what invertebrates are best for removing algae from glass.

curator,

linkia stars are believed to eat alage. they are extremly delicate to keep.

also before you buy anything go get your phosphate tested.

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that after wiping off the algae, it was back in less-than-an hour! This doesn't seem possible. Could it be that the algae that I'm wiping off is re-attaching itself?

The glass part is just using a mag scrapper as hermitts wont clean it off the glass, get one sally lite foot, 2 emeralds and 1-2 hermits per gallon and algae problem is gon except for the glass, there is nothing for that really besides the lawnmower blennie but he still leaves alot on the glass and i refuse to ever use snails as they do nothing besides bulldose stuff over.

also the hermits can kill the snails.

is the alage in a cylindrical shape.

I guess the problem is having used tap water that I had de-chlorinated. Water change tonight.

Thank you all for the good information!

Curator;93124 wrote: I guess the problem is having used tap water that I had de-chlorinated. Water change tonight.

Thank you all for the good information!
Not going to do a water change with Tap water are you?

If are in the market for some additions to a clean up crew...Give Scott a call at Main Street Aquatics in Dallas.

Back