Attack of the Microbes!

maureen

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I have a bizarre story to share with you...</span>

<span style="color: black;">About 4-5 weeks ago I developed an interesting rash on my right forearm. I asked around and everyone agreed that it was definitely poison ivy. So I took all the necessary steps: treatment with cortisone cream, anti-itch gel, washed all my sheets, towels, etc. After three weeks or so, the redness/swollen-ness subsided significantly. I breathed a sigh of relief that I was finally free. I even went to the dermatologist who confirmed it looked like it was healing well. </span>

<span style="color: black;">But I was wrong....</span>

<span style="color: black;">One week ago, it returned in full force. It spread more up my arm, became very red and swollen. I did all the treatments again, but to no success. I was very low on energy and couldn't figure out why. I never made the connection. </span>

<span style="color: black;">Off to the dermatologist I went today. After she and another doctor examined it, it was concluded that my lymph nodes were indeed swollen, indicating infection and this rash was NOT at all poison ivy, but mostly atypical mycobacteria. They cut a lovely size chuck of it out (see picture) to be sent off for a biopsy for further identification. FYI - it already looks much better tonight after one treatment of antibiotics. </span>

<span style="color: black;">So, why do I share? Because the source of the infection was my tank!! I was attacked by those evil microbial buggers from sticking my hand in my tank everyday to clean the glass, rearrange corals, etc. I never put together that all of this would have come from a bacterial infection in my tank. All in all, I wanted you to be aware that this can happen and that it never hurts to be more careful!!</span>

<span style="color: black;">The good news: I'm NOT contagious, so please do talk to me at the meeting tomorrow night :) and after about a month of antibiotics and highly concentrated creams, I should be normal again. Well, as normal as I can be ;) </span>

<span style="color: black;">Oh yeah, and I'm going to buy a pair of gloves.... :) </span>

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Maureen. Glad you are doing better though, not sure if I believe the whole "I'm not contagious" thing though. So if you see me waving from across the room, don't take any offense. :tongue:

Glad you are getting better and this is a great lesson for everyone else who has happy hands and likes to stick their hands in their tank all the time.

WEAR GLOVES PEOPLE!

(I need to listen to my own advice too)

Especially when you have cuts or anything open on your skin. Very easy way to get sick or get something infected.

Thanks for putting yourself through this entire ordeal Maureen, just to prove a point about how serious fish tanks can be. You are a real trooper.

J/K.................Mitch

Awww!!!! Stitches too!!

...but you're right, it's looking alot better!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Maureen! I'm sorry to hear this happened to you! Good thing you caught the source early - I've read horror stories of people who were not as "lucky" as yourself. Regardless, I will still talk to you tomorrow, and I'm glad to hear you're doing better already. :)

Ya looks like a case of Mycobacterium marinum. I am glad you were luck to catch it early. I think everyone should know what Mycobacterium marinum is and how to spot it. Left untreated, you could have lost your arm, or worse, your life! I am glad you are ok! Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Thanks everyone for their kind words! And Tony, thanks for adding a "smile" to my stitch!!!! :)

See you all tonight!

I believe mycobacterium is in the tuberculosis family- bullet dodged! Take care.

Wow - I am glad you are ok. Here is an article I found a few years ago after my infection:

offsite.htm

There is this article as well: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/sp/feature/index.php</a> Steven Pro did a great write up about his bout with the bugs! (Gross pictures too!)

Any of us in the hobby need to know what this bug is and how it presents itself. Most doctors do not know what it is and would diagnose you with rheumatoid arthritis, gout, trauma-related tenosynovitis, foreign body, deep fungal infections, malignancy or something else that is not what it is...

Ouch! That looks pretty rough. What did they give you to treat it? Antibiotics?

A very strong dose of antibiotics for the next 3-4 weeks until it completely heals. And a strong foam to treat the surface of the infection!!

(I can't remember the names of the drugs, but I'll post them when I'm home.)

Hope you don't have the problems that the guy in the aforementioned article had:

I was prescribed a large dose of a strong antibiotic twice a day for three months. This cured me of the Mycobacterium marinum</em> infection, but caused a whole new problem. While my actual encounter with Mycobacterium marinum</em> was relatively harmless, I am still getting over the long-term effects of the cure. The long course of strong antibiotics absolutely wrecked my digestive system, and I am still suffering with minor difficulties to this day.

I really like my arm, so I think I'm going to resist the temptation to immerse it in the water :) I'm already making a list of protective goodies: gloves, long algae scraper and aquarium tongs for my obsessive rearranging!

Back